Cobbold History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The name Cobbold has a rich and ancient history. It is an Anglo-Saxon name that was originally derived from the Old English given name Cobbold.
Early Origins of the Cobbold family
The surname Cobbold was first found in Northamptonshire, where they held a family seat from ancient times.
Important Dates for the Cobbold family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Cobbold research. Another 88 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1066, 1174, 1219, 1273, 1353, 1649, 1680 and 1752 are included under the topic Early Cobbold History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Cobbold Spelling Variations
Before English spelling was standardized a few hundred years ago, spelling variations of names were a common occurrence. Elements of Latin, French and other languages became incorporated into English through the Middle Ages, and name spellings changed even among the literate. The variations of the surname Cobbold include Cobbold, Cobbald, Cubald, Cubold, Cubaldus, Carbould, Cobald, Cubbel, Cubaud, Corbold, Corbould, Cubill, Cobell and many more.
Early Notables of the Cobbold family (pre 1700)
Another 48 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Cobbold Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Cobbold family
A great wave of immigration to the New World was the result of the enormous political and religious disarray that struck England at that time. Families left for the New World in extremely large numbers. The long journey was the end of many immigrants and many more arrived sick and starving. Still, those who made it were rewarded with an opportunity far greater than they had known at home in England. These emigrant families went on to make significant contributions to these emerging colonies in which they settled. Some of the first North American settlers carried this name or one of its variants: M. Cobell who arrived in San Francisco in 1856.
Contemporary Notables of the name Cobbold (post 1700)
- Richard Cobbold (1797-1877), English British author and writer
- John Cobbold (1927-1983), English businessman, chairman of Ipswich Town F.C., 1957–1976
- John Cobbold (1831-1875), English politician, MP for Ipswich
- John Cobbold (1797-1882), English brewer and MP for Ipswich
- John Cobbold (1774-1860), English brewer, banker, merchant
- John Cobbold (1746-1835), English brewer, banker, merchant in Ipswich, son of Thomas Cobbold (1708–1767)
- Hermione Cobbold (1905-2004), Baroness Cobbold, wife of Cameron Cobbold
- Cameron Cobbold (1904-1987), 1st Baron Cobbold, Governor of the Bank of England
- William Nevill "Nuts" Cobbold (1862-1922), English footballer
- Elizabeth Cobbold (1765-1824), British writer and poet
- ... (Another 3 notables are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
You May Also Like