on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The ancient history of the Coates name begins with the ancient Anglo-Saxon
tribes of Britain. The name is derived from when the family resided at the cotes
which was in turn derived from the Old English word cote,
which means at the cottage,
which denotes that the initial bearer of this surname lived in a little cottage. 
Due to the general meaning of the name, there are a few places named Coates in Britain including places in Cambridgeshire
, and Lincolnshire
The last dates back to the Domesday Book
of 1086 when it was listed as Cotes. 
The surname Coates was first found in Staffordshire
where the family are "descended from Richard de Cotes, who was probably son of Thomas de Coates, living in 1157, when the Black Book of the Exchequer was compiled." 
At that time, he held large estates on the Salop, Staffordshire
Until quite recently, the English language has lacked a definite system of spelling rules. Consequently, Anglo-Saxon surnames are characterized by a multitude of spelling variations. Changes in Anglo-Saxon names were influenced by the evolution of the English language, as it incorporated elements of French, Latin, and other languages. Although Medieval scribes and church officials recorded names as they sounded, so it is common to find one person referred to by several different spellings of his surname, even the most literate people varied the spelling of their own names. Variations of the name Coates include Coates, Coate, Coats and others.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Coates research. Another 283 words (20 lines of text) covering the years 1190, 1210, 1273, 1682 and 1716 are included under the topic Early Coates History in all our PDF Extended History products
Another 61 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Coates Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the Coates family moved to Ireland
, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 121 words (9 lines of text) about their life in Ireland
is included in all our PDF Extended History products
Searching for a better life, many English families migrated to British colonies. Unfortunately, the majority of them traveled under extremely harsh conditions: overcrowding on the ships caused the majority of the immigrants to arrive diseased, famished, and destitute from the long journey across the ocean. For those families that arrived safely, modest prosperity was attainable, and many went on to make invaluable contributions to the development of the cultures of the new colonies. Research into the origins of individual families in North America revealed records of the immigration of a number of people bearing the name Coates or a variant listed above:
Coates Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- John Coates who settled in Virginia in 1650
- Hugh Coates, who arrived in Virginia in 1658
- Jo Coates, who arrived in Virginia in 1658
- Thomas Coates, who arrived in Lynn, Massachusetts in 1658
- William Coates settled in Barbados in 1660
Coates Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Saml Coates, who landed in Virginia in 1706
- Thos Coates, who arrived in Virginia in 1714
- John W Coates, who landed in New York in 1796
Coates Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- William A Coates, who arrived in Charleston, South Carolina in 1803
- James, Coates Jr., aged 14, landed in New York in 1812
- William Coates, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1823
- James Coates, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1834
- Patrick Coates, aged 31, arrived in Missouri in 1848
Coates Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Thomas Coates, aged 28, a merchant, arrived in Saint John, NB in 1834 aboard the brig "Joseph Anderson" from London
- Matilda E Coates, who landed in Esquimalt, British Columbia in 1862
- W Coates, who landed in Victoria, British Columbia in 1862
Coates Settlers in Canada in the 20th Century
- Mrs. B Coates, who arrived in St John, New Brunswick in 1907
- Isabella Coates, who landed in St John, New Brunswick in 1907
Coates Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Thoams Alfred Coates arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Hooghly" in 1848
- T.A. Coates arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "John Woodall" in 1849
- J. Coates arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Athenian" in 1849
- John Coates, English convict from Devon, who was transported aboard the "Adelaide" on August 08, 1849, settling in Van Diemen's Land and Port Phillip, Australia
- Thomas Coates arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Countess of Yarborough" in 1850
Coates Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- S A Coates landed in Auckland, New Zealand in 1840
- James Coates landed in Auckland, New Zealand in 1840
- L Coates landed in Auckland, New Zealand in 1844
- Giles Coates, aged 43, a labourer, arrived in Nelson aboard the ship "Poictiers" in 1850
- Mary Ann Coates, aged 14, a servant, arrived in Nelson aboard the ship "Poictiers" in 1850
- James E. Coates, American Baptist minister and former Democratic politician
- James Alton Coates (b. 1932), American Major League Baseball pitcher who played from 1956 to 1967, twice World Series champion (1961, 1962)
- Phyllius Coates (b. 1927), American film and television actress
- Gloria Coates (b. 1938), American composer
- Kinney Coates (b. 1826), American poet and politician
- Eric Coates (1886-1957), English violist and composer
- James Coates (1815-1854), Jamaica-born, pioneer settler of Auckland New Zealand, 1st Clerk of the New Zealand House of Representatives in 1854
- Sir James Hugh Buchanan Coates (1851-1935), New Zealand banker and sportsman, General Manager of the National Bank of New Zealand for 21 years
- Robert Carman Coates PC, QC (1928-2016), Canadian politician (1957-1988) and Cabinet minister
- Mr. Cyril Henry Coates, British Petty Officer, who sailed in to battle on the HMS Prince of Wales and survived the sinking
- Robert Coates of Lynn, Massachusetts, and Some of His Descendants by Evelyn Coates Aherin.
- ^ Mills, A.D., Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4)
- ^ Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds., Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8)
- ^ Shirley, Evelyn Philip, The Noble and Gentle Men of England; The Arms and Descents. Westminster: John Bower Nichols and Sons, 1866, Print.
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Crispin, M. Jackson and Leonce Mary. Falaise Roll Recording Prominent Companions of William Duke of Normandy at the Conquest of England. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. The Tartans of the Clans and Families of Scotland 1st Edition. Edinburgh: W & A. K. Johnston Limited, 1938. Print.
- Elster, Robert J. International Who's Who. London: Europa/Routledge. Print.
- Markale, J. Celtic Civilization. London: Gordon & Cremonesi, 1976. Print.
The Coates Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Coates Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 9 May 2016 at 15:28.
on orders of $85 or more