Clunn History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Clunn was first used as a surname by descendants of the Pictish people of ancient Scotland. The ancestors of the Clunn family lived in the lands of Clunie in Stormmot, Perthshire where the name can be found since very early times.
Early Origins of the Clunn family
The surname Clunn was first found in Perthshire (Gaelic: Siorrachd Pheairt) former county in the present day Council Area of Perth and Kinross, located in central Scotland, where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
Early History of the Clunn family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Clunn research. Another 94 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1214 and 1296 are included under the topic Early Clunn History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Clunn Spelling Variations
Repeated and inaccurate translation of Scottish names from Gaelic to English and back resulted in a wide variety of spelling variations with single names. Clunn has appeared Clunie, Clooney, Cloon, Cloone, Clowney, Clune, Cluney, Clunis and many more.
Early Notables of the Clunn family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Clunn Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Clunn migration to the United States +
Many Scottish families suffered enormous hardships and were compelled to leave their country of birth. They traveled to Ireland and Australia, but mostly to the colonies of North America, where many found the freedom and opportunity they sought. It was not without a fight, though, as many were forced to stand up and defend their freedom in the American War of Independence. The ancestors of these Scots abroad have rediscovered their heritage in the last century through the Clan societies and other organizations that have sprung up across North America. Immigration and passenger ship lists show some important early immigrants bearing the name Clunn:
Clunn Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Ettie Clunn, aged 22, who immigrated to America, in 1897
- Nellie Clunn, aged 20, who landed in America, in 1897
- Phillip Clunn, aged 48, who landed in America, in 1897
Clunn Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- P.E. Clunn, aged 58, who settled in America from London, in 1903
- Harold Philip Clunn, aged 30, who immigrated to the United States from London, England, in 1909
- Harold Clunn, aged 41, who landed in America from London, England, in 1920
Contemporary Notables of the name Clunn (post 1700) +
- Rick Clunn (b. 1946), American professional bass fisherman from La Porte, Texas
- Joseph Clunn, American politician, Postmaster at Bristol, Pennsylvania, 1790-1802 
- John Anthony Spencer "Tony" Clunn MBE (b. 1946), retired major in the British Army
Related Stories +