The ancient roots of the Clulow family name are in the Anglo-Saxon
culture. The name Clulow comes from when the family lived in the locality of Clulow, which was in the parish of Prestbury in the county of Cheshire.
Early Origins of the Clulow family
The surname Clulow was first found in Cheshire
, where they held a family seat
from early times.
Early History of the Clulow family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Clulow research.Another 298 words (21 lines of text) covering the years 1615, 1617, 1633, 1648, 1727, and 1804 are included under the topic Early Clulow History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Clulow Spelling Variations
One relatively recent invention that did much to standardize English spelling was the printing press. However, before its invention even the most literate people recorded their names according to sound rather than spelling. The spelling variations
under which the name Clulow has appeared include Clulow, Clewly, Clewlow, Clulye, Clulee, Clewely, Cluley and many more.
Early Notables of the Clulow family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Clulow Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Clulow family to the New World and Oceana
At this time, the shores of the New World beckoned many English families that felt that the social climate in England
was oppressive and lacked opportunity for change. Thousands left England
at great expense in ships that were overcrowded and full of disease. A great portion of these settlers never survived the journey and even a greater number arrived sick, starving, and without a penny. The survivors, however, were often greeted with greater opportunity than they could have experienced back home. These English settlers made significant contributions to those colonies that would eventually become the United States and Canada. An examination of early immigration records and passenger ship lists revealed that people bearing the name Clulow arrived in North America very early:
Clulow Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- P. T. Clulow, aged 27, who landed in America, in 1892
- Sarah Clulow, aged 50, who emigrated to the United States, in 1895
- Peter Clulow, aged 35, who settled in America from Liverpool, in 1896
- D. W. Clulow, aged 18, who landed in America from Liverpool, in 1897
Clulow Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Dudley H. Clulow, aged 26, who settled in America from London, in 1904
- Miss Clulow, aged 21, who emigrated to the United States from London, in 1905
- Dudley H. Clulow, aged 30, who emigrated to the United States from London, England, in 1906
- Dudley H. Clulow, aged 35, who emigrated to the United States from Ireland, in 1909
- William Clulow, aged 24, who settled in America from Glasgow, Scotland, in 1910
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Clulow (post 1700)
- William Benton Clulow (1802-1882), English dissenting minister, tutor and writer
- Jennifer Clulow (b. 1942), English actress and television presenter