Christopherson History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The Christopherson surname finds its earliest origins with the ancient Anglo-Saxon culture of Britain. Their name is derived from Christopher, an ancient and popular personal name which has been popular for many years as literally, the name means 'Bearer of Christ'.
"I have been told that all who bear the somewhat rare name of Christopherson hail from Furness, in North Lancashire. Anyway it is a native, and owes its origin to the treacherous sands of Morecombe and Duddon. The legend of St. Christopher is that he found an occupation in guiding passengers across a wide stream. One night he bare unawares the child Christ, and was about to sink under an ever-increasing weight, when the Saviour said, 'Thou bearest Him who beareth the sins of the world.' No doubt there would be a shrine to the Saint for belated travellers on Chapel Isle, opposite Conishead Priory. Many a babe would be dedicated to him in gratitude for some hairbreadth escape his father had experienced. " 
Early Origins of the Christopherson family
The surname Christopherson was first found in North Lancashire at Furness (now known as Dalton-In-Furness. "The town derived its principal importance from the erection of the magnificent Abbey of Furness, founded in 1127, by Stephen, afterwards king of England, for monks of the Cistercian order, whom he removed from Tulketh, in Amounderness, to this valley, where, obtaining valuable grants, they continued for more than four centuries. " 
Early History of the Christopherson family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Christopherson research. Another 69 words (5 lines of text) covering the years 1558, 1613, 1225, 1245, 1295 and 1659 are included under the topic Early Christopherson History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Christopherson Spelling Variations
It is only in the last few hundred years that the English language has been standardized. For that reason, early Anglo-Saxon surnames like Christopherson are characterized by many spelling variations. As the English language changed and incorporated elements of other European languages, even literate people changed the spelling of their names. The variations of the name Christopherson include: Christopher, Cristopher and others.
Early Notables of the Christopherson family (pre 1700)
Distinguished members of the family include John Christopherson (d. 1558), Bishop of Chichester, "a native of Ulverstone in Lancashire, and was educated in the university of Cambridge, first at Pembroke...
Another 30 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Christopherson Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Christopherson family to Ireland
Some of the Christopherson family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 57 words (4 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Christopherson family
Many English families tired of political and religious strife left Britain for the new colonies in North America. Although the trip itself offered no relief - conditions on the ships were extremely cramped, and many travelers arrived diseased, starving, and destitute - these immigrants believed the opportunities that awaited them were worth the risks. Once in the colonies, many of the families did indeed prosper and, in turn, made significant contributions to the culture and economies of the growing colonies. An inquiry into the early roots of North American families has revealed a number of immigrants bearing the name Christopherson or a variant listed above: Christopher Christopher, Geoffrey's brother, who settled in Nantucket in 1630; William and Katherine Christopher who arrived in Barbados in 1679 with their servants.
Contemporary Notables of the name Christopherson (post 1700) +
- Frank W. Christopherson Jr. (1927-2020), American politician, Member of the Wisconsin Senate (1963-1967)
- Harry A. Christopherson, American politician, Member of South Dakota State House of Representatives 3rd District, 1947-54 
- Frank W. Christopherson Jr. (b. 1927), American Democratic Party politician, Member of Wisconsin State Assembly from Douglas County 2nd District; Elected 1958; Member of Wisconsin State Senate 25th District; Elected 1962 
- Dan Christopherson, American politician, Mayor of Vermillion, South Dakota, 2002-10 
- Charles Andrew Christopherson (1871-1951), American Republican politician, Member of South Dakota State House of Representatives 10th District, 1913-16; Speaker of the South Dakota State House of Representatives, 1915-16 
- Carl E. Christopherson, American politician, U.S. Consul in Calcutta, 1943 
- C. H. Christopherson, American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from Minnesota, 1916 
- Arbie F. Christopherson, American politician, Member of South Dakota State House of Representatives 32nd District, 1947-52 
- A. Christopherson, American politician, Member of South Dakota State House of Representatives 10th District, 1919-22 
Related Stories +
- ^ Bardsley, C.W, A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6)
- ^ Lewis, Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of England. Institute of Historical Research, 1848, Print.
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2016, January 25) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html