Chandra History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Chandra family
The surname Chandra was first found in Aberdeenshire (Gaelic: Siorrachd Obar Dheathain), a historic county, and present day Council Area of Aberdeen, located in the Grampian region of northeastern Scotland, where they held a family seat from ancient times, some say as early as the 12th century. In this county the name has been found in the parishes of Fyvie, Drumblade, Auchterless, Culsalmond, Forgue, Turriff, Gamrie and King Edward. The family is said, by C.F. Shand, the family historian, to be descended from Philibert de Shaunde, Earl of Bath in 1485, who in turn, was descended from a noble house in Normandy. The Earl of Bath, Philibert Shaunde, was created by King Henry II of England and Normandy. Philibert was styled by the King as "Consanguineus noster.".
Important Dates for the Chandra family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Chandra research. Another 48 words (3 lines of text) covering the year 1522 is included under the topic Early Chandra History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Chandra Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Shand, Chand, Schand, Chandai, Shandscross, Shawnd and many more.
Early Notables of the Chandra family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Chandra Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Chandra family
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: A. Shand who arrived in San Francisco, California, in 1852.
Contemporary Notables of the name Chandra (post 1700)
- Subodh Chandra, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Ohio, 2008 
- Ram Chandra Dome (b. 1959), Indian politician and a leader of the Communist Party of India
- Subhas Chandra Bose (1895-1945), Indian nationalist leader
- Sir Jagadis Chandra Bose (1858-1937), Indian physicist and botanist
- Sarat Chandra Bose (1889-1950), Indian lawyer and freedom fighter
- Raj Chandra Bose (1901-1987), Indian mathematician and statistician
- Sir Jagadish Chandra Bose FRS (1858-1935), Bengali physicist
- Bankim Chandra Chatterjee (1838-1894), Indian writer
- Mr. Chandra Mohan Trikha M.B.E.,, British former Director of Distribution Performance for SSE, was appointed Member of the Order of the British Empire on 29th December 2018 for services to the Energy Industry 
- Chandra Sturrup (b. 1971), Bahamian track and field sprint athlete
You May Also Like
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 3) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html
- ^ "Birthday and New Year Honours Lists (1940 to 2019)." Issue 62507, 28 December 2018 | London Gazette, The Gazette, Dec. 2018, www.thegazette.co.uk/honours-lists