Caskie History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Caskie family
The surname Caskie was first found in Galloway (Gaelic: Gall-ghaidhealaibh), an area of southwestern Scotland, now part of the Council Area of Dumfries and Galloway, that formerly consisted of the counties of Wigtown (West Galloway) and Kirkcudbright (East Galloway), where they held a family seat from very ancient times.
Early History of the Caskie family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Caskie research. Another 124 words (9 lines of text) covering the years 1494, 1588, and 1688 are included under the topic Early Caskie History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Caskie Spelling Variations
In the era before dictionaries, there were no rules governing the spelling or translation of names or any other words. Consequently, there are an enormous number of spelling variations in Medieval Scottish names. Caskie has appeared as Caskie, Caskey, Macaskey, MacCaskie, McAskie, McCaskie and many more.
Early Notables of the Caskie family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Caskie Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Caskie family to Ireland
Some of the Caskie family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 58 words (4 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Caskie migration to the United States +
The freedom, opportunity, and land of the North American colonies beckoned. There, Scots found a place where they were generally free from persecution and where they could go on to become important players in the birth of new nations. Some fought in the American War of Independence, while others went north to Canada as United Empire Loyalists. The ancestors of all of these Scottish settlers have been able to recover their lost national heritage in the last century through highland games and Clan societies in North America. Among them:
Caskie Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- a family by the name of Caskie, settled in Washington about the year 1640
Caskie Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- James Caskie, who arrived in America in 1807 
- John Caskie, who landed in America in 1807 
Contemporary Notables of the name Caskie (post 1700) +
- Marion Maxwell Caskie (b. 1890), American Democrat politician, Staff for Southern Railway office in Washington, 1906-11 
- John Samuels Caskie (1821-1869), American Democrat politician, Circuit Judge in Virginia, 1846-49; U.S. Representative from Virginia, 1851-59 
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, October 9) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html