100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The surname Caskey was first found in Galloway
(Gaelic: Gall-ghaidhealaibh), an area of southwestern Scotland
, now part of the Council Area of Dumfries and Galloway
, that formerly consisted of the counties of Wigtown
(West Galloway) and Kirkcudbright (East Galloway), where they held a family seat
from very ancient times.
Scribes in Medieval Scotland spelled names by sound rather than any set of rules, so an enormous number of spelling variations exist in names of that era. Caskey has been spelled Caskie, Caskey, Macaskey, MacCaskie, McAskie, McCaskie and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Caskey research. Another 204 words (15 lines of text) covering the years 1494, 1588, and 1688 are included under the topic Early Caskey History in all our PDF Extended History products
More information is included under the topic Early Caskey Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the Caskey family moved to Ireland
, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 263 words (19 lines of text) about their life in Ireland
is included in all our PDF Extended History products
The number of Strathclyde Clan
families sailing for North America increased steadily as the persecution continued. In the colonies, they could find not only freedom from the iron hand of the English government, but land to settle on. The American War of Independence
allowed many of these settlers to prove their independence, while some chose to go to Canada as United Empire Loyalists. Scots played essential roles in the forging of both great nations. Among them:
Caskey Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- James Caskey, who arrived in America in 1811
- Robert Caskey, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1844
- James, John, Margaret, Mary, Michael, Rebecca, Robert, Sally, Samuel and William Caskey, all settled in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania between 1813 and 1864
Caskey Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Matthew Caskey arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Isabella Watson" in 1846
- John Caskey, aged 25, a labourer, arrived in South Australia in 1851 aboard the ship "Reliance"
- Sarah Caskey, aged 19, a servant, arrived in South Australia in 1851 aboard the ship "Reliance"
- Andrew Caskey, aged 39, arrived in South Australia in 1858 aboard the ship "Sir Thomas Gresham"
- Andrew Caskey, aged 18, arrived in South Australia in 1858 aboard the ship "Sir Thomas Gresham"
- Wilburn Caskey (1921-1995), American Democrat politician, Mayor of Ashland, Kentucky, 1956-59, 1964-68
- Wayne F. Caskey, American Democrat politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from Illinois 15th District, 1950
- Robert C. Caskey, American politician, Member of New Jersey State House of Assembly from Warren County, 1843-46
- Kay Caskey, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Missouri, 1996
- J. Harmon Caskey, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Alaska Territory, 1920
- Harold Caskey, American Democrat politician, Member of Missouri State Senate 31st District; Elected 1980; Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Missouri, 1996
- H. Caskey, American politician, Member of Minnesota State House of Representatives 3rd District, 1859-60
- Craig Douglas Caskey (b. 1949), former American Major League Baseball pitcher
- Alex Caskey (b. 1988), American soccer player
- John Caskey, American archaeologist and educator
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Scotch Irish Pioneers In Ulster and America. Montana: Kessinger Publishing. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Leeson, Francis L. Dictionary of British Peerages. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1121-5).
- Barrow, G.W.S Ed. Acts of Malcom IV 1153-65 Volume I Regesta Regum Scottorum 1153-1424. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press, 1960. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Urquhart, Blair Edition. Tartans The New Compact Study Guide and Identifier. Secauccus, NJ: Chartwell Books, 1994. Print. (ISBN 0-7858-0050-6).
- Le Patourel, John. The Norman Empire. New York: Oxford University Press, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-19-822525-3).
The Caskey Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Caskey Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 9 October 2015 at 11:17.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!