on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the Scottish Caskey family come from? What is the Scottish Caskey family crest and coat of arms? When did the Caskey family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Caskey family history?
Scribes in Medieval Scotland spelled names by sound rather than any set of rules, so an enormous number of spelling variations exist in names of that era. Caskey has been spelled Caskie, Caskey, Macaskey, MacCaskie, McAskie, McCaskie and many more.
First found in Galloway (Gaelic: Gall-ghaidhealaibh), an area of southwestern Scotland, now part of the Council Area of Dumfries and Galloway, that formerly consisted of the counties of Wigtown (West Galloway) and Kirkcudbright (East Galloway), where they held a family seat from very ancient times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Caskey research. Another 204 words(15 lines of text) covering the years 1494, 1588, and 1688 are included under the topic Early Caskey History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Caskey Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Caskey family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 263 words(19 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
The number of Strathclyde Clan families sailing for North America increased steadily as the persecution continued. In the colonies, they could find not only freedom from the iron hand of the English government, but land to settle on. The American War of Independence allowed many of these settlers to prove their independence, while some chose to go to Canada as United Empire Loyalists. Scots played essential roles in the forging of both great nations. Among them:
Caskey Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- James Caskey, who arrived in America in 1811
- Robert Caskey, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1844
- James, John, Margaret, Mary, Michael, Rebecca, Robert, Sally, Samuel and William Caskey, all settled in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania between 1813 and 1864
Caskey Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Matthew Caskey arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Isabella Watson" in 1846
- John Caskey, aged 25, a labourer, arrived in South Australia in 1851 aboard the ship "Reliance"
- Sarah Caskey, aged 19, a servant, arrived in South Australia in 1851 aboard the ship "Reliance"
- Andrew Caskey, aged 39, arrived in South Australia in 1858 aboard the ship "Sir Thomas Gresham"
- Andrew Caskey, aged 18, arrived in South Australia in 1858 aboard the ship "Sir Thomas Gresham"
- C Thomas Caskey (b. 1938), American internist, geneticist and biomedical entrepreneur
- John Caskey, American archaeologist and educator
- Alex Caskey (b. 1988), American soccer player
- Craig Douglas Caskey (b. 1949), former American Major League Baseball pitcher
- Darren Mark Caskey (b. 1974), English former footballer
- Billy Caskey (b. 1954), retired Irish professional soccer midfielder
- Jake Dane Forster Caskey (b. 1994), British professional footballer
- Black, George F. The Surnames of Scotland Their Origin, Meaning and History. New York: New York Public Library, 1946. Print. (ISBN 0-87104-172-3).
- Paul, Sir James Balfour. An Ordinary of Arms Contained in the Public Register of All Arms and Bearings in Scotland Second Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1903. Print.
- Barrow, G.W.S Ed. The Charters of David I The Written Acts of David I King of Scots, 1124-53 and of His Son Henry, Earl of Northumerland, 1139-52. Woodbridge: The Boydell Press, 1999. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Bloxham, Ben. Key to Parochial Registers of Scotland From Earliest Times Through 1854 2nd edition. Provo, UT: Stevenson's Genealogical Center, 1979. Print.
- Leyburn, James Graham. The Scotch-Irish A Social History. Chapel Hill: UNC Press, 1962. Print. (ISBN 0807842591).
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Moncrieffe, Sir Ian of That Ilk and David Hicks. The Highland Clans The Dynastic Origins, Cheifs and Background of the Clans. New York: C.N. Potter, 1968. Print.
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
- Fairbairn,. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
The Caskey Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Caskey Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 4 May 2015 at 03:03.
on orders of $85 or more