The ancestors of the name Cantley date back to the Anglo-Saxon
tribes of Britain. The name is derived from when the Cantley family lived in the village of Cantley in either the counties of Norfolk
Early Origins of the Cantley family
The surname Cantley was first found in Norfolk
, where they held a family seat
from ancient times.
Early History of the Cantley family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Cantley research.Another 339 words (24 lines of text) covering the years 1086, 1198, 1379, 1452, 1581, 1626, 1790, 1797, 1500 and 1854 are included under the topic Early Cantley History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Cantley Spelling Variations
It is only in the last few hundred
years that the English language has been standardized. For that reason, early Anglo-Saxon
surnames like Cantley are characterized by many spelling variations
. As the English language changed and incorporated elements of other European languages, even literate people changed the spelling of their names. The variations of the name Cantley include: Cantlay, Cantley, Cantele, Cantelay, Cantuli, Cantlie, Gantlet, Gantley and many more.
Early Notables of the Cantley family (pre 1700)
Another 42 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Cantley Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Cantley family to the New World and Oceana
Many English families tired of political and religious strife left Britain for the new colonies in North America. Although the trip itself offered no relief - conditions on the ships were extremely cramped, and many travelers arrived diseased, starving, and destitute - these immigrants believed the opportunities that awaited them were worth the risks. Once in the colonies, many of the families did indeed prosper and, in turn, made significant contributions to the culture and economies of the growing colonies. An inquiry into the early roots of North American families has revealed a number of immigrants bearing the name Cantley or a variant listed above:
Cantley Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- William Cantley, aged 20, who landed in New York, NY in 1850 CITATION[CLOSE]
Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- Alexander Cantley who arrived in Philadelphia in 1852
Contemporary Notables of the name Cantley (post 1700)
- Lewis C. Cantley (b. 1949), American cell biologist and biochemist, a professor in the Departments of Systems Biology and Medicine at Harvard Medical School
- Sir Joseph Donaldson Cantley OBE, QC (1910-1993), English barrister and High Court judge, best known for being the judge in the trial of Jeremy Thorpe in 1979
- Thomas Cantley (1857-1945), Canadian politician, Member of Parliament for Pictou, Nova Scotia (1925-1935)
- Robert Cantley, British conservationist and Managing Director of Borneo Exotics, his company won a Gold Medal at the Chelsea Flower Show in 2006, 2007, 2010, and 2011, and a Silver Gilt Medal in 2005