The ancestors of the Camshron name date back to the kingdom of Dalriada in ancient Scotland
. Camshron was a name for someone who lived in either Cameron near Edinburgh, Cameron in Lennox
, or Cameron in Fife
. Thus, the name Camerons of the Lowlands is of territorial origin, from one of the three places so called. The Highland Clan
name Cameron may come from the Lowland name, but it is also derived from the Gaelic word cam-shron,
which means wry
The Cameron Clan was described as 'Fiercer than fierceness itself' and it was reputed to be one of the most ancient clans of Scotland. The hereditary name of the chiefs of the Clan is MacDhomnuill Duibh, from their ancestor "Black Donald".
The first assured chief of the clan was not found until 1411, when Donald Du reigned in that year. Following this date, the clan split into three separate branches, one each at Letterfinlay, Strone and Glen Nevis, with the clan seat at Lochaber.
Early Origins of the Camshron family
The surname Camshron was first found in Angus
(Gaelic: Aonghas), part of the Tayside region of northeastern Scotland
, and present day Council Area of Angus
, formerly known as Forfar or Forfarshire
, among the hills which surrounded Lochy, Arkaig, and Ely.
The Camerons are said to have traditionally descended from the Kings of Denmark and probably assisted in the restoration of King Fergus II in 404. The first written records of the Cameron Clan date back to the 13th century.
In 1214, Adam de Kamerun was witness to a charter to the monks of Cupar. In 1219, Hugh Cambrun was the sheriff of Forfar and in 1233, Johannes Cambron was a charter witness in Moray. In 1360, the Cameron Clan received the first official grant of the lands of Lochaber and they were later granted Locheil, and Locharkaig, by the Lord of the Isles.
In 1360 they received the first official grant of the lands of Lochaber. They were later granted Locheil, and Locharkaig, by the Lord of the Isles. The Camerons were continually at feud with the Clan Chattan, and notable amongst the battles was that of Charles Hill. Suffering defeat in 1370 they rose to prominence at the Battle of Harlaw, but again were forfeited. King James IV restored their lands in 1493.
Early History of the Camshron family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Camshron research.Another 99 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1695, 1748, 1793, 1629, 1719, 1647, 1695, 1748 and are included under the topic Early Camshron History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Camshron Spelling Variations
Spelling in the medieval era was a highly imprecise process. Translation, particularly from Gaelic to English, was little better. For these reasons, early Scottish names are rife with spelling variations
. In various documents Camshron has been spelled Cameron, MacGuillonies, MacSorlies and many more.
Early Notables of the Camshron family (pre 1700)
Another 38 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Camshron Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Camshron family to Ireland
Some of the Camshron family moved to Ireland
, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.Another 59 words (4 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Camshron family to the New World and Oceana
Ancestors of many of the Dalriadan families who crossed the Atlantic still live along the east coast of the United States and Canada. Some Scottish settlers arrived in Canada during the American War of Independence
as United Empire Loyalists, while others stayed south to fight for a new nation. The descendants of Scottish settlers in both countries began to rediscover their heritage in the 19th and 20th centuries through Clan
societies and highland games. An inquiry into the early roots of North American families has revealed a number of immigrants bearing the name Camshron or a variant listed above: the group who arrived on the ships, the "Sarah" and the "Dove" in Upper Canada in 1801; their holds filled with 700 Camerons and Frasers from the Lochaber country. The Camerons also settled in the U.S.A. in Carolina, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, St. Christopher, Virginia, New York, Georgia, and California, in the 18th and 19th centuries. In Newfoundland, Alexander Cameron settled in St. John's in 1744.
The Camshron Motto
The motto was originally a war cry or slogan. Mottoes first began to be shown with arms in the 14th and 15th centuries, but were not in general use until the 17th century. Thus the oldest coats of arms generally do not include a motto. Mottoes seldom form part of the grant of arms: Under most heraldic authorities, a motto is an optional component of the coat of arms, and can be added to or changed at will; many families have chosen not to display a motto.
Motto: Aonaibh ri cheile
Motto Translation: Unite
Camshron Family Crest Products