Callcott History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
Callcott is a name of ancient Anglo-Saxon origin and comes from a family once having lived in Caldecot, which was the name of parishes found in Peterborough and Worcestershire. The name was originally derived from the Old English word ceald-cote and literally meant the dweller at the cold-huts.  
The Colgate variant also claims descent from Colegates in Shoreham, Kent or at Colgate in Lower Bleeding, Sussex.  The Kent village may now be lost, but there are streets named Colegates, in Faversham, Kent. The Sussex village survives and is now in West Sussex. The earliest record for this variant is Stephen de Colegate who was listed in London in 1300.  William Colgate (1783-1857) the English-born, American soap industrialist hailed from Hollingbourne, Kent.
Early Origins of the Callcott family
The surname Callcott was first found in various places named Caldecote or Caldecott throughout Britain including Buckinghamshire, Cambridgeshire, Hertfordshire, Huntingdonshire, Northamptonshire, Leicestershire and Warwickshire.
No fewer than five of them are listed in the Domesday Book of 1086 as Caldecote, Cambridgeshire; Caldecota, Hertfordshire; Caldecote, Warwickshire; Caldecote, Leicestershire; and Caldecote, Northamptonshire. Williamscott or Willscott in Oxfordshire was home to the family too.
Early rolls confirmed the wide-spread use of the name in early rolls with many spelling variations: Simon de Caldecot in the Pipe Rolls for Cambridgeshire in 1165; Geoffrey de Caudecot in the Curia Regis Rolls for Kent in 1206; William de Cheldecot in Warwickshire in 1225; Edmund de Calicote in the Hundredorum Rolls for Berkshire in 1275; Richard de Coldecote in the Subsidy Rolls for Worcestershire in 1275; and John de Caldekote in the Subsidy Rolls for Sussex in 1296. 
"Walter Calcott, in 1575, endowed a free school here with £13 per annum payable out of his manor of Williamscott, for 40 boys chosen by lot from the villages around."  The hamlet was also made famous as the site that Charles I. slept a night or two prior to the battle of Cropredy-Bridge.
Early History of the Callcott family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Callcott research. Another 132 words (9 lines of text) covering the years 1150, 1304, 1320, 1766, 1782, 1783, 1785, 1782, 1779, 1844, 1837, 1843 and 1844 are included under the topic Early Callcott History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Callcott Spelling Variations
The English language only became standardized in the last few centuries; therefore,spelling variations are common among early Anglo-Saxon names. As the form of the English language changed, even the spelling of literate people's names evolved. Callcott has been recorded under many different variations, including Caldecot, Caldecott, Caldecotte and others.
Early Notables of the Callcott family (pre 1700)
Notables of the family at this time include John Wall Calcott, born November 20, 1766, at Kensington, where his father carried on the business of a bricklayer and builder. Whilst a school-boy he had frequent opportunities of examining the organ at Kensington church, and having funned an acquaintance with the organist became a constant visitor to the organ-loft on Sundays. There he acquired his knowledge of the rudiments of music. His intention was to follow the profession of surgery, but the sight of a severe operation so seriously affected his nerves that he abandoned it and turned his attention to music...
Emigration to New Zealand followed in the footsteps of the European explorers, such as Captain Cook (1769-70): first came sealers, whalers, missionaries, and traders. By 1838, the British New Zealand Company had begun buying land from the Maori tribes, and selling it to settlers, and, after the Treaty of Waitangi in 1840, many British families set out on the arduous six month journey from Britain to Aotearoa to start a new life. Early immigrants include:
Callcott Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
The motto was originally a war cry or slogan. Mottoes first began to be shown with arms in the 14th and 15th centuries, but were not in general use until the 17th century. Thus the oldest coats of arms generally do not include a motto. Mottoes seldom form part of the grant of arms: Under most heraldic authorities, a motto is an optional component of the coat of arms, and can be added to or changed at will; many families have chosen not to display a motto.
Motto: In utrumque paratus
Motto Translation: Prepared for both.