Cabe History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The Cabe family's roots in Ireland stretch back to the year 1350, when they were imported to Ireland as mercenaries, or gallowglasses, from Scotland by the Irish chiefs of the O'Rourkes and the O'Reillys of Leitrim and Cavan. This family was named for the peculiar headgear it wore: the name Cabe comes from the Gaelic word Caba, meaning 'hat' or 'cap.' Thus, it belongs to the nickname category of surnames.
Early Origins of the Cabe family
The surname Cabe was first found in on the Isle of Arran in Scotland. Shortly after their arrival in Ireland in 1350, they became a recognized Breffny sept with their chief being "Constable of the two Breffnys". This would be their homeland for centuries. They were known as mercenaries to the O'Reillys and the O'Rourkes, but then became their own Sept in Breffny and their Chief was the 'Constable of the two Breffnys.' During the middle of the 14th century, they were granted lands in Leitrim, Cavan, Monaghan and Meath. The MaCabes lost their estates after the battle of Aughrim in 1691.
Important Dates for the Cabe family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Cabe research. Another 112 words (8 lines of text) covering the years 1601, 1613, 1689, 1740, and 1810 are included under the topic Early Cabe History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Cabe Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: McAbbe, Caybe, McCaibe, MacAbe, Abee, McAbeee, McAbbee, Abbee, McCaybe, Cabe, Abeee, MacCabee, MacCabe, McCabe, Cabbe, McAbee, Caibe and many more.
Early Notables of the Cabe family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Cabe Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Cabe migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Typical Cabe Emigration from the United Kingdom to North America
Cabe Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- John Cabe, who landed in Virginia in 1704 
Cabe Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Pedro Cabe, who arrived in New Orleans, La in 1823 
Contemporary Notables of the name Cabe (post 1700)
- Jakie Cabe, American actor and writer, known for Kiddy Grade (2002), Dragon Ball Z (1989) and Yu Yu Hakusho: Ghost Files (1992)
- Charles Cabe, American Republican politician, Chair of Clark County Republican Party, 2003 
You May Also Like
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 11) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html