100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: German, Irish
Where did the German Butler family come from? What is the German Butler family crest and coat of arms? When did the Butler family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Butler family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Butler, Buttlar, Büttner, Butlers, Butlern, Butlen, Butlinck, Buttler and many more.
First found in Prussia, where the name emerged in medieval times as one of the notable families of the region. From the 13th century the surname was identified with the great social and economic evolution which made this territory a landmark contributor to the development of the nation.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Butler research. Another 230 words(16 lines of text) covering the years 1681, 1710, 1782, and 1874 are included under the topic Early Butler History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Butler Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Butler Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Samuel Butler, who landed in America in 1620
- Francis Butler, who arrived in Virginia in 1624-1625
- Geo Butler, aged 27, arrived in Virginia in 1635
- Gyles Butler, who landed in America in 1635
- Jo Butler, aged 13, arrived in Virginia in 1635
Butler Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Richd Butler, who landed in Virginia in 1701
- Alice Butler, who landed in Virginia in 1702
- Bridgett Butler, who arrived in Virginia in 1704
- Edwd Butler, who arrived in Virginia in 1706
- Simon Butler, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1710
Butler Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Anthony Butler, who arrived in Charleston, South Carolina in 1803
- Daniel Butler, who arrived in Charleston, South Carolina in 1806
- Eliza Butler, who landed in New York, NY in 1816
- Andrew Butler, who arrived in New York, NY in 1816
- George Butler, who landed in New York, NY in 1816
Butler Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Mr. Elias Butler U.E who settled in Eastern District [Cornwall], Ontario c. 1783
- Mr. Ephraim Butler U.E (b. 1752) born in Branford, New Haven County, Connecticut, USA settled at the top of the Kingston Peninsula [Kingston], Butler's Lake, New Brunswick c. 1783 he enlisted in 1778 served in the 3rd battalion, DeLancey's Brigade in the company of Captain Elijah Miles under Lt. Smith
- Lt. Freelove Butler Jr., U.E. who settled in Augusta Township, Grenville County, Ontario c. 1783
- Mr. Freelove Butler Sr., U.E. who settled in Elizabeth Town [Elizabethtown], Leeds County, Ontario c. 1783
- Mr. James Butler U.E who settled in Elizabeth Town [Elizabethtown], Leeds County, Ontario c. 1783
Butler Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Alice Elizabeth Butler, who arrived in Nova Scotia in 1810
- Elizabeth Alice Butler, who arrived in Nova Scotia in 1818
- Eleanor Butler, who landed in Nova Scotia in 1830
- Patrick Butler, who arrived in Nova Scotia in 1830
- Ellen Butler, who landed in Nova Scotia in 1831
Butler Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Henry Butler, English convict from Middlesex, who was transported aboard the "Almorah" on April 1817, settling in New South Wales, Australia
- William Butler, English convict from Surrey, who was transported aboard the "Adamant" on March 16, 1821, settling in New South Wales, Australia
- John Butler, a wool-sorter, arrived in Van Diemen’s Land (now Tasmania) sometime between 1825 and 1832
- James Butler, English convict from Gloucester, who was transported aboard the "Andromeda" on October 16, 1826, settling in Van Diemen's Land, Australia
- James Butler, English convict from York, who was transported aboard the "Arab" on February 22, 1834, settling in Van Diemen's Land, Austraila
Butler Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- J G Butler landed in Bay of Islands, New Zealand in 1823
- Thomas Butler landed in Bay of Islands, New Zealand in 1836
- Jas Butler landed in Wellington, New Zealand in 1840 aboard the ship Martha Ridgway
- Thomas Charles Butler landed in Wellington, New Zealand in 1840
- Thomas Charles Butler, aged 31, a carpenter, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Coromandel" in 1840
- Octavia Estelle Butler (1947-2006), American science fiction writer
- Nicholas Murray Butler (1862-1947), American educationist
- Robert Olen Butler Jr. (b. 1945), American author and winner of the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction in 1993
- Robert Neil Butler (1927-2007), American physician, gerontologist, and psychiatrist awarded the 1976 Pulitzer Prize for General Nonfiction
- Brigadier-General Frederic Bates Butler (1896-1987), American Commanding General Granite City Engineer Department (1950)
- Major-General William Ormond Butler (1895-1962), American Commanding General 6th Air Force (1944-1945)
- Pierce Butler (1744-1822), American soldier, planter, and statesman, one of United States' Founding Fathers
- John "Jack" Bradshaw Butler (1927-2013), American NFL football cornerback for the Pittsburgh Steelers, inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame (2012)
- Steven Lee Butler (1953-1988), American Teacher from Denver, Colorado, America, who flew aboard the Pan Am Flight 103 from Frankfurt to Detroit, known as the Lockerbie bombing in 1988 and died
- Mr. William M. Butler (d. 1915), American 3rd Class passenger from New York, New York, USA, who sailed aboard the RMS Lusitania and died in the sinking
- The Ancestry of Blanche Butler Ames and Adelbert Ames by Pauline Ames Plimpton.
- Della Elizabeth Butler Hudson Be.
- : Her Family and Ancestors by Martha Ann Butler.
- Göbel, Otto. Niederdeutsche Familiennamen der Gegenwart Wolfshagen-Schäbentz. Franz: Westphal, 1936. Print.
- Preuss, Otto. Die Lippischen Familiennamen mit Berücksichtigung der Ortsnamen. Detmold: Meyer'sche Hofbuchh, 1887. Print.
- Strassburger, Ralph B. German Pioneers The Original Lists of Arrivals in the Port of Philadelphia 3 Volumes. Baltimore: Picton Press, 1992. Print. (ISBN 978-0929539980).
- Kneschke, Dr. Ernest Heinrich. Neues allgemeines Deutsches Adels-Lexicon 9 Volumes New General German Aristocracy Lexicon. Leipzig: Friedrich Voigt, 1859. Print.
- Neubecker, Ottfried. Wappen-Bilder-Lexikon der bürgerlichen Geschlechter Deutschlands, Oesterreichs und der Schweiz. Battenberg, München: 1985. Print.
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Jones, George F. The Germans of Colonial Georgia 1733-1783 Revised edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0806311614).
- Nied, Edmund. Fraenkische Familiennamen urkundlich gesammelt und sprachlich gedeutet. Heidelberg: C. Winter, 1933. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
The Butler Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Butler Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 28 June 2015 at 18:10.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!