100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The name Burchett has a long Anglo-Saxon heritage. The name comes from when a family lived in Cheshire, where they held a family seat near Birkenhead at the estuary of the River Birket. It is from the name of the river that their name is derived.
Spelling variations in names were a common occurrence before English spelling was standardized a few hundred years ago. In the Middle Ages, even the literate spelled their names differently as the English language incorporated elements of French, Latin, and other European languages. Many variations of the name Burchett have been found, including Birket, Birkett, Bircket, Burkett, Birckett, Burket, Burkert and many more.
First found in Cheshire, where they held a family seat from ancient times, long before the Norman Conquest in 1066.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Burchett research. Another 155 words (11 lines of text) covering the years 1666, 1746, 1650, 1703 and 1700 are included under the topic Early Burchett History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 83 words (6 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Burchett Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Burchett family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 63 words (4 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Families began migrating abroad in enormous numbers because of the political and religious discontent in England. Often faced with persecution and starvation in England, the possibilities of the New World attracted many English people. Although the ocean trips took many lives, those who did get to North America were instrumental in building the necessary groundwork for what would become for new powerful nations. Some of the first immigrants to cross the Atlantic and come to North America bore the name Burchett, or a variant listed above:
Burchett Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Andrew Burchett, who arrived in Virginia in 1657
Burchett Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Jacob Burchett, who landed in Mississippi in 1844
Burchett Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- S. Burchett arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Hooghly" in 1839
Burchett Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Orlando H. Burchett arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Inflexible" in 1870
- Elizabeth Burchett, aged M., arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Inflexible" in 1870
- Elizabeth A. Burchett arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Inflexible" in 1870
- Woodrow Burchett, American Democrat politician, Candidate for Presidential Elector for Kentucky, 1972
- William Earl Burchett (1898-1986), American Democrat politician, Postmaster at Williamson, West Virginia, 1934-36 (acting, 1934); Member of West Virginia State Senate 6th District, 1943-45; Resigned 1945
- Knox Burchett, American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from Virginia, 1972
- John C. Burchett, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Michigan, 1996
- D. J. Burchett, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Kentucky, 1884
- Timothy Floyd "Tim" Burchett (b. 1964), American politician, Mayor of Knox County, Tennessee (2010)
- Mark Burchett (b. 1960), Hollywood film director, screenwriter and film producer of horror movies
- Rick Burchett (b. 1952), American comic book artist
- James Charles Sholto Burchett QC (1930-1985), Australian Justice of the Federal Court of Australia (1985 to 2000)
- Richard Burchett (1815-1875), British artist and educator
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- MacAulay, Thomas Babington. History of England from the Accession of James the Second 4 volumes. New York: Harper and Brothers, 1879. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
- Virkus, Frederick A. Ed. Immigrant Ancestors A List of 2,500 Immigrants to America Before 1750. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1964. Print.
- Dunkling, Leslie. Dictionary of Surnames. Toronto: Collins, 1998. Print. (ISBN 0004720598).
- Holt, J.C. Ed. Domesday Studies. Woodbridge: Boydell, 1987. Print. (ISBN 0-85115-477-8).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
The Burchett Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Burchett Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 19 October 2015 at 10:30.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!