Brockett History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The history of the name Brockett begins in the days of the Anglo-Saxon tribes in Britain. It was a name for a young, headstrong person. The surname Brockett is derived from the Old French words broque and brocke, which became the Old English words broket and brocket c. 1410. All of these words refer to a stag in its second year with its first set of horns. 
Early Origins of the Brockett family
The surname Brockett was first found in Hertfordshire where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
Early History of the Brockett family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Brockett research. Another 124 words (9 lines of text) covering the years 1500, 1540, 1611, 1690, 1609, 1662 and 1637 are included under the topic Early Brockett History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Brockett Spelling Variations
It is only in the last few hundred years that the English language has been standardized. For that reason, early Anglo-Saxon surnames like Brockett are characterized by many spelling variations. As the English language changed and incorporated elements of other European languages, even literate people changed the spelling of their names. The variations of the name Brockett include: Bocket, Brockett, Brockhead and others.
Early Notables of the Brockett family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Brockett Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Brockett family to Ireland
Some of the Brockett family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. More information about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Brockett migration to the United States +
Many English families tired of political and religious strife left Britain for the new colonies in North America. Although the trip itself offered no relief - conditions on the ships were extremely cramped, and many travelers arrived diseased, starving, and destitute - these immigrants believed the opportunities that awaited them were worth the risks. Once in the colonies, many of the families did indeed prosper and, in turn, made significant contributions to the culture and economies of the growing colonies. An inquiry into the early roots of North American families has revealed a number of immigrants bearing the name Brockett or a variant listed above:
Brockett Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- William Brockett, who settled in Virginia in 1635
- Edward Brockett, who landed in Maryland in 1652 
- Mary Brockett, who arrived in Virginia in 1658 
- Bryan Brockett, who arrived in Maryland in 1669 
- William Brockett, who arrived in Maryland in 1677 
Brockett Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- G W Brockett, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1850 
- R Brockett, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1855 
Contemporary Notables of the name Brockett (post 1700) +
- Lewis Albert "King" Brockett (1880-1960), American Major League Baseball pitcher
- Roger Ware Brockett (b. 1938), American control theorist and the An Wang Professor of Computer Science and Electrical Engineering at Harvard University
- Don Brockett (1930-1995), American actor, comedian, and producer
- Jesse Brockett, American politician, Member of Connecticut State House of Representatives from North Haven, 1829-30, 1839 
- Ira Brockett, American politician, Member of New York State Assembly from Saratoga County 1st District, 1863-64 
- Glenn Francis Brockett (1910-1999), American politician, Member of Iowa State House of Representatives 
- Florence A. Brockett, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Pennsylvania, 1940 
- Ernest Ransom Brockett (1864-1945), American Democrat politician, Candidate for Connecticut State House of Representatives from North Haven, 1926 
- Edward H. Brockett, American Republican politician, Member of Connecticut State House of Representatives from Simsbury; Elected 1894 
- Calvin B. Brockett, American politician, Prohibition Candidate for Connecticut State House of Representatives from Bristol, 1894 
- ... (Another 6 notables are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Related Stories +
- ^ Lowe, Mark Anthony, Patronymica Britannica, A Dictionary of Family Names of the United Kingdom. London: John Russel Smith, 1860. Print.
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, December 11) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html