Bowditch History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
In ancient Anglo-Saxon England, the ancestors of the Bowditch surname lived in the settlement of Bowditch, an estate in the county of Dorset.
Early Origins of the Bowditch family
The surname Bowditch was first found in Dorset, in southern England, where they held a family seat from ancient times, long before the Norman Conquest in 1066.
Important Dates for the Bowditch family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Bowditch research. Another 52 words (4 lines of text) covering the years 1300, 1773, and 1838 are included under the topic Early Bowditch History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Bowditch Spelling Variations
It is only in the last few hundred years that the English language has been standardized. For that reason, early Anglo-Saxon surnames like Bowditch are characterized by many spelling variations. As the English language changed and incorporated elements of other European languages, even literate people changed the spelling of their names. The variations of the name Bowditch include: Bowditch, Bowdich, Bowdidge and others.
Early Notables of the Bowditch family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Bowditch Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Bowditch migration to the United States
Many English families tired of political and religious strife left Britain for the new colonies in North America. Although the trip itself offered no relief - conditions on the ships were extremely cramped, and many travelers arrived diseased, starving, and destitute - these immigrants believed the opportunities that awaited them were worth the risks. Once in the colonies, many of the families did indeed prosper and, in turn, made significant contributions to the culture and economies of the growing colonies. An inquiry into the early roots of North American families has revealed a number of immigrants bearing the name Bowditch or a variant listed above:
Bowditch Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- William Bowditch, who landed in New England in 1677 
Bowditch Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Walter Bowditch, who arrived in Philadelphia in 1878
Bowditch migration to Australia
Emigration to Australia
followed the First Fleets
of convicts, tradespeople and early settlers. Early immigrants include:
Bowditch Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- John Bowditch, aged 30, who arrived in South Australia in 1852 aboard the ship "Sea Park" 
- Mrs. Mary H Bowditch, (b. 1864), aged 23, Cornish domestic servant travelling aboard the ship "SS Abyssinia" arriving in Sydney, New South Wales, Australia on 24th March 1887 
- Miss Lydia L Bowditch, (b. 1868), aged 19, Cornish domestic servant travelling aboard the ship "SS Abyssinia" arriving in Sydney, New South Wales, Australia on 24th March 1887 
Contemporary Notables of the name Bowditch (post 1700)
- Nathaniel Bowditch (1773-1838), early American mathematician, known for his book The New American Practical Navigator (1802) which is still carried on board every commissioned U.S. Naval vessel, eponym of numerous ships including the USCS Bowditch, USS Bowditch (AG-30), USNS Bowditch (T-AGS-21) and the USNS Bowditch (T-AGS-62)
- James Bowditch (1904-1978), United States Army Corporal
- Henry Pickering Bowditch (1840-1911), American professor of physiology at Harvard University Medical School, and a founding member of the Society for Psychical Research, London
- Henry Ingersoll Bowditch (1808-1892), American physician, antislavery crusader, who established the first board of health in Massachusetts
- Sherwood Hornsby Bowditch (b. 1976), American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from Virginia, 2004 
- Ben Bowditch (b. 1984), English football midfielder
- Dean Peter Bowditch (b. 1986), English footballer
- Steven Bowditch (b. 1983), Australian professional PGA golfer
- Clare Bowditch (b. 1975), Australian musician, writer, coach and occasional actor from Melbourne, Victoria
- Brian Hayward Bowditch (b. 1961), British mathematician
You May Also Like
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ South Australian Register Tuesday 3 February 1852. (Retrieved 2010, November 5) SEA PARK 1852. Retrieved http://www.theshipslist.com/ships/australia/seapark1852.shtml.
- ^ Cornwall Online Parish Clerks. (Retrieved 2018, April 19). Emigrants to Australia NSW 1860 -88 [PDF]. Retrieved from http://www.opc-cornwall.org/Resc/pdfs/nsw_passenger_lists_1860_88.pdf
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2016, January 29) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html