Bouldin History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The origins of the name Bouldin are from the ancient Anglo-Saxon culture of Britain. It is derived from the Old English personal name Bealding, which was originally derived from the name Beald.
Early Origins of the Bouldin family
The surname Bouldin was first found in Lincolnshire, where they held a family seat from ancient times.
Important Dates for the Bouldin family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Bouldin research. Another 99 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1212, 1251, 1255, 1327, 1327, 1332 and 1674 are included under the topic Early Bouldin History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Bouldin Spelling Variations
Sound was what guided spelling in the essentially pre-literate Middle Ages, so one person's name was often recorded under several variations during a single lifetime. Also, before the advent of the printing press and the first dictionaries, the English language was not standardized. Therefore, spelling variations were common, even among the names of the most literate people. Known variations of the Bouldin family name include Balding, Baulding, Baldyne, Bolding, Baldyng, Beldyng, Baldinge, Baldin, Poldin and many more.
Early Notables of the Bouldin family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Bouldin Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Bouldin migration to the United States
For political, religious, and economic reasons, thousands of English families boarded ships for Ireland, the Canadas, the America colonies, and many of smaller tropical colonies in the hope of finding better lives abroad. Although the passage on the cramped, dank ships caused many to arrive in the New World diseased and starving, those families that survived the trip often went on to make valuable contributions to those new societies to which they arrived. Early immigrants bearing the Bouldin surname or a spelling variation of the name include:
Bouldin Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- William Bouldin, who arrived in Virginia in 1610 
Bouldin Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- T. Bunyan Bouldin, aged 26, who landed in America, in 1912
- Tyrrell Bouldin, aged 27, who landed in America, in 1913
- Terrile Bouldin, aged 28, who immigrated to America, in 1914
- Robert L. Bouldin, aged 20, who immigrated to the United States, in 1918
Contemporary Notables of the name Bouldin (post 1700)
- Wood Bouldin (1811-1876), American politician, Delegate to Virginia secession convention, 1861 
- Virgil Bouldin (b. 1866), American Democrat politician, Chair of Jackson County Democratic Party, 1890-92; Member of Alabama State House of Representatives, 1896 
- Thomas Tyler Bouldin (1781-1834), American Democrat politician, U.S. Representative from Virginia, 1829-33, 1833-34 
- Thomas J. Bouldin, American Democrat politician, Member of Arizona State Senate, 1931-32 
- Richard E. Bouldin, American Republican politician, Postmaster at Bel Air, Maryland, 1891-95, 1904-12 
- Mariane Bouldin, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Tennessee, 2004 
- James Wood Bouldin (1792-1854), American politician, Representative from Virginia, 1834-39 
- Charles H. Bouldin, American politician, Postmaster at Bel Air, Maryland, 1848-49, 1853-54, 1869-70 
- Charles D. Bouldin, American Democrat politician, Postmaster at Bel Air, Maryland, 1845-48 
- Donald W. Bouldin (b. 1979), American co-developer of the Davies–Bouldin index in 1979, a metric for evaluating clustering algorithms
- ... (Another 4 notables are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2016, January 29) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html