on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: English, German
Where did the English Bott family come from? What is the English Bott family crest and coat of arms? When did the Bott family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Bott family history?The ancient Anglo-Saxon culture once found in Britain is the soil from which the many generations of the Bott family have grown. The name Bott was given to a member of the family who was a person with a striking physique.
Sound was what guided spelling in the essentially pre-literate Middle Ages, so one person's name was often recorded under several variations during a single lifetime. Also, before the advent of the printing press and the first dictionaries, the English language was not standardized. Therefore, spelling variations were common, even among the names of the most literate people. Known variations of the Bott family name include Body, Boddy, Boddie, Bodie, Bode, Bodhy, Bodin, Bott, Botter, Bodds, Bods, Botty and many more.
First found in Hampshire where they held a family seat from ancient times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Bott research. Another 269 words (19 lines of text) covering the years 1086, 1296 and 1597 are included under the topic Early Bott History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Bott Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Bott family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 43 words (3 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
For political, religious, and economic reasons, thousands of English families boarded ships for Ireland, the Canadas, the America colonies, and many of smaller tropical colonies in the hope of finding better lives abroad. Although the passage on the cramped, dank ships caused many to arrive in the New World diseased and starving, those families that survived the trip often went on to make valuable contributions to those new societies to which they arrived. Early immigrants bearing the Bott surname or a spelling variation of the name include :
Bott Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Jon Bott, who arrived in Virginia in 1653
Bott Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Thomas Bott, who landed in Virginia in 1724
- Ursilla Bott, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1732
- Joh Balthasar Bott, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1732
- Johan Balser Bott, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1732
- Joannes Bott, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1743
Bott Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Weigant Bott, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1841
- John Bott, who landed in Mobile, Ala in 1846
- Conrad Bott who arrived in Allegheny County in 1856
- Phil Bott, who arrived in America in 1867
Bott Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- John Bott arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Isabella Watson" in 1846
- Sarah Bott arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Isabella Watson" in 1846
- William Bott arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Ramillies" in 1849
- William Josiah Bott, aged 41, a shoemaker, arrived in South Australia in 1855 aboard the ship "Punjab"
- Thomas Bott, aged 40, a labourer, arrived in South Australia in 1855 aboard the ship "Aliquis"
Bott Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- J. F. Bott arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Countess of Kintore" in 1873
- M. Bott arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Countess of Kintore" in 1873
- Mary A. Bott, aged 24, a tailoress, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Waimea" in 1876
- William Henry Bott, aged 4, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Waimea" in 1876
- Kevin Bott, American politician, Candidate for Mayor of Syracuse, New York, 2013
- Charles Bott, American Republican politician, Candidate in primary for Montana State House of Representatives 47th District, 2010
- Mr. William Thomas Bott (d. 1912), aged 44, English Greaser from Southampton, Hampshire who worked aboard the RMS Titanic and died in the sinking
- Martin Harold Phillips Bott, English Emeritus Professor in the Department of Earth Sciences at Durham University
- Nina Bott (b. 1978), German actress
- Catherine Bott (b. 1952), British operatic soprano
- Raoul Bott (1923-2005), Hungarian mathematician, co-winner of the 2000 Wolf Prize
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Elster, Robert J. International Who's Who. London: Europa/Routledge. Print.
- Virkus, Frederick A. Ed. Immigrant Ancestors A List of 2,500 Immigrants to America Before 1750. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1964. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry: Including American Families with British Ancestry. (2 Volumes). London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Holt, J.C. Ed. Domesday Studies. Woodbridge: Boydell, 1987. Print. (ISBN 0-85115-477-8).
- Marcharn, Frederick George. A Constitutional History of Modern England 1485 to the Present. London: Harper and Brothers, 1960. Print.
The Bott Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Bott Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 7 January 2016 at 12:26.
on orders of $85 or more