Boddin History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The Boddin surname is derived from one of several places names; such as Bowden in Derbyshire and Bowdon in Cheshire. The place names are thought to derive from the Old English words "boga," or "bow" and "dùn," or "hill;" thus, a curved hill.
However, two sources point to a Norman origin. The first states: "They have a tradition that they are of Norman descent, and that the name was originally Bodin"  and the second notes "Petrus Bodin occurs in Normandy, 12th century." 
Early Origins of the Boddin family
The surname Boddin was first found in Cheshire, Leicestershire and Northamptonshire. The Hundredorum Rolls of 1273 point to a scattered early reference of the family: Bodin de Langehull, Oxfordshire; Boyedinus de Gaunt, Lincolnshire; Bodyn de Kant (London citizen); and Walter Bodin, Oxfordshire. 
"Bowden is frequent but often represents an older Bowdon. (i) John de Boghedon 1333. There are 17 places called Bowden in Devon and one Bowdin, all 'curved hill'; Bowden Edge (Derby) has the same origin; (ii) Thomas Bovedon in the Hundredorum Rolls of 1279; OE bufan dune '(dweller) above the hill' " 
Bowden or Bowdon, a parish in the union of Altrincham, hundred of Bucklow, N. division of the county of Chester was once held by the Bowden family having been granted by Hamon de Massey. 
"The Bowdens were of Bowdon Hall, co. Derby, in the XV. cent. Yet they have a tradition that they are of Norman descent, and that the name was originally Bodin." 
Early History of the Boddin family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Boddin research. Another 189 words (14 lines of text) covering the years 1150, 1296, 1279, 1333, 1583, 1568, 1504, 1694, 1733, 1761, 1733, 1735, 1761, 1778, 1750 and are included under the topic Early Boddin History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Boddin Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Bowden, Bouden, Boulden, Boden, Bodden, Bodin and others.
Early Notables of the Boddin family (pre 1700)
Distinguished members of the family include Samuel Bowden (fl. 1733-1761), a physician at Frome, Somersetshire, the author of two volumes of poems published 1733-1735. "Neither the date of his birth nor that of his death has been ascertained, though it appears from the 'Gentleman's Magazine,' to which he was an occasional contributor, that he was living in 1761, while a passing mention of him in 1778 is in the past tense. The writer adds...
Another 73 words (5 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Boddin Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Boddin family to Ireland
Some of the Boddin family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 61 words (4 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
| Boddin migration to the United States ||+|
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Boddin Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Mary Boddin, who landed in Virginia in 1666 
- Lower, Mark Anthony, Patronymica Britannica, A Dictionary of Family Names of the United Kingdom. London: John Russel Smith, 1860. Print.
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X)
- Bardsley, C.W, A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6)
- Reaney, P.H and R.M. Wilson, A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X)
- Lewis, Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of England. Institute of Historical Research, 1848, Print.
- Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)