Bobbitt History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The origins of the name Bobbitt are with the Anglo-Saxon tribes of Britain. The name is derived from the baptismal name for the son of Robert. Alternatively, the name could have been derived from the name Popart, as in N. Popart, Normandy (1180-1195.) 
Early Origins of the Bobbitt family
The surname Bobbitt was first found in Suffolk, where they held a family seat from ancient times.
Early History of the Bobbitt family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Bobbitt research. Another 221 words (16 lines of text) covering the years 1327, 1332, 1500, 1668, 1742, 1753, 1599, 1680, 1632, 1641 and 1719 are included under the topic Early Bobbitt History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Bobbitt Spelling Variations
The first dictionaries that appeared in the last few hundred years did much to standardize the English language. Before that time, spelling variations in names were a common occurrence. The language was changing, incorporating pieces of other languages, and the spelling of names changed with it. Bobbitt has been spelled many different ways, including Bobart, Bobbet, Bobat, Bobbete, Bobet, Bobitt, Bobbett, Bobert, Bobett and many more.
Early Notables of the Bobbitt family (pre 1700)
Another 46 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Bobbitt Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Bobbitt is the 4,208th most popular surname with an estimated 7,461 people with that name. 
Migration of the Bobbitt family
Thousands of English families in this era began to emigrate the New World in search of land and freedom from religious and political persecution. Although the passage was expensive and the ships were dark, crowded, and unsafe, those who made the voyage safely were rewarded with opportunities unavailable to them in their homeland. Research into passenger and immigration lists has revealed some of the very first Bobbitts to arrive in North America: Ann Bobett who arrived in Virginia in 1663.
Contemporary Notables of the name Bobbitt (post 1700) +
- Betty Ann Bobbitt (1939-2020), American actress, director, singer, and playwright based in Australia
- Tony Rachaun Bobbitt (b. 1979), American professional basketball player
- Shannon Denise Bobbitt, American professional basketball player
- Robert Lee Bobbitt Sr. (1888-1972), American attorney and Democratic politician from Texas
- William Haywood Bobbitt (b. 1900), American judge, Chief Justice of North Carolina state supreme court (1969-)
- Philip Chase Bobbitt (b. 1948), American author, academic, and public servant
Related Stories +
Suggested Readings for the name Bobbitt +
- Our Bobbitt Family: Genealogical and Historical Record of the Southern Branch by Allen Wade Mount.
- ^ The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X)
- ^ https://namecensus.com/most_common_surnames.htm