Beedle History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Beedle is a name that dates far back into the mists of early British history to the days of the Anglo-Saxon tribes. It is derived from the name of a medieval court official called a beadle. A beadle performed similar duties to those of a bailiff in a modern court of law, as well as acting as a sort of town crier, and later as a constable of the parish. 
Early Origins of the Beedle family
The surname Beedle was first found in the North Riding of Yorkshire, at Bedale, a market-town, parish, and the head of a union, chiefly in the wapentake of Hang-East, but partly in that of Hallikeld. "The houses are in general of brick, and irregularly built; the air is pure, and the neighbourhood, which is well cultivated, affords many pleasant walks and much picturesque scenery. " 
As an occupational name, the name can be found in a wide variety of spellings over much of ancient Britain. The Hundredorum Rolls of 1273 include: Geoffrey le Bedel, Kent; Martin le Bedel, Norfolk; and Walter Bidellus, Lincolnshire.  The "le" meaning "the" denoted the occupational nature of the name and that last entry found there was in the Latin form.
Kirby's Quest noted John le Bedal, Somerset, 1 Edward III (during the first year of the reign of King Edward III.) 
Historically it was "a well-known office. In [the] Domesday Book, we have, among the greater tenants. Godwin Bedellus, and "Beaellus quidam Regis," a certain beadle, apparitor, or messenger of the King. " 
Early History of the Beedle family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Beedle research. Another 83 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1086, 1667, 1613 and 1650 are included under the topic Early Beedle History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Beedle Spelling Variations
It is only in the last few hundred years that the English language has been standardized. For that reason, early Anglo-Saxon surnames like Beedle are characterized by many spelling variations. As the English language changed and incorporated elements of other European languages, even literate people changed the spelling of their names. The variations of the name Beedle include: Beadell, Beadle, Beadles, Beedle, Beedell, Bedle and others.
Early Notables of the Beedle family (pre 1700)
Distinguished members of the family include John Beadle (died 1667), an English clergyman and diarist. He was the author of the 'Journal or Diary of a Thankful Christian.' He matriculated at the University of Cambridge on 8 July 1613 and was...
Another 41 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Beedle Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Beedle migration to the United States +
Many English families tired of political and religious strife left Britain for the new colonies in North America. Although the trip itself offered no relief - conditions on the ships were extremely cramped, and many travelers arrived diseased, starving, and destitute - these immigrants believed the opportunities that awaited them were worth the risks. Once in the colonies, many of the families did indeed prosper and, in turn, made significant contributions to the culture and economies of the growing colonies. An inquiry into the early roots of North American families has revealed a number of immigrants bearing the name Beedle or a variant listed above:
Beedle Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Tho Beedle, who arrived in Virginia in 1643 
- Alice Beedle, who settled in Virginia in 1650
- Mice Beedle, who arrived in Virginia in 1650 
- Edward Beedle, who landed in Virginia in 1654 
- John Beedle, who arrived in Maryland in 1661 
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Beedle Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Francis Beedle, who landed in Virginia in 1702 
- Robert Beedle, who arrived in Virginia in 1714 
- Mercy Beedle, who settled in Maryland in 1775
Beedle Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Evan Beedle, who arrived in New York in 1851 
- Stephen Beedle, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1853 
Contemporary Notables of the name Beedle (post 1700) +
- George E. Beedle, American Republican politician, Member of Wisconsin State Assembly from Waupaca County 2nd District, 1903-06 
- Ernest Beedle, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Minnesota, 1960 
- William Beedle (1918-1981), birth name of the Academy Award-winning American film actor William Holden
- Ashley Beedle (b. 1962), British house music producer
Related Stories +
- ^ Lowe, Mark Anthony, Patronymica Britannica, A Dictionary of Family Names of the United Kingdom. London: John Russel Smith, 1860. Print.
- ^ Lewis, Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of England. Institute of Historical Research, 1848, Print.
- ^ Bardsley, C.W, A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6)
- ^ Dickinson, F.H., Kirby's Quest for Somerset of 16th of Edward the 3rd London: Harrison and Sons, Printers in Ordinary to Her Majesty, St, Martin's Lane, 1889. Print.
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 11) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html