Bedell History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The Anglo-Saxon name Bedell comes from when the family resided in Bidwell, Hertfordshire. This place name derives from the Old English words "byde," meaning "tub," and "well," meaning a "spring," or "stream." As such, Bedell is classed as a habitational name.
Early Origins of the Bedell family
The surname Bedell was first found in Bedfordshire (Old English: Bedanfordscir), located in Southeast-central England, formerly part of the Anglo-Saxon kingdom of Mercia, where Bidwell was said to be a picturesque hamlet lying to the north-west of Houghton village. 
There is an early record of a Stephen de Bedewellin in Essex in the Calendar of the Close Rolls, in 1229. 
Early History of the Bedell family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Bedell research. Another 113 words (8 lines of text) covering the years 1323, 1388, 1420, 1561, 1632, 1589, 1595, 1632, 1561, 1562, 1632, 1537, 1508, 1520, 1532, 1571, 1571, 1642, 1627, 1641 and 1642 are included under the topic Early Bedell History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Bedell Spelling Variations
Before English spelling was standardized a few hundred years ago, spelling variations of names were a common occurrence. Elements of Latin, French and other languages became incorporated into English through the Middle Ages, and name spellings changed even among the literate. The variations of the surname Bedell include Bedwell, Bedwel, Bedewell, Bidwell, Bidewell and many more.
Early Notables of the Bedell family (pre 1700)
Notables of the family at this time include William Bedwell (1561-1632), Vicar of Tottenham, Middlesex, an English priest and scholar, who specialized in mathematics and foreign languages and Thomas Bedwell, who held the position of "Storekeeper of the Ordnance" of England, 1589-1595.
William Bedwell (d. 1632), was nephew of "Thomas Bedwell, and father of Arabic studies in England, was born in 1561 or 1562, for his tombstone in the chancel of Tottenham church makes him aged...
Another 74 words (5 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Bedell Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Bedell is the 5,038th most popular surname with an estimated 4,974 people with that name. 
Migration of the Bedell family to Ireland
Some of the Bedell family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 162 words (12 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
| Bedell migration to the United States ||+|
A great wave of immigration to the New World was the result of the enormous political and religious disarray that struck England at that time. Families left for the New World in extremely large numbers. The long journey was the end of many immigrants and many more arrived sick and starving. Still, those who made it were rewarded with an opportunity far greater than they had known at home in England. These emigrant families went on to make significant contributions to these emerging colonies in which they settled. Some of the first North American settlers carried this name or one of its variants:
Bedell Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Gertrude Bedell, who landed in Virginia in 1642 
- Atwell Bedell, who arrived in Maryland in 1662 
- Elizabeth Bedell, who landed in Maryland in 1662 
- Robert Bedell, who landed in Maryland in 1665 
- Henry Bedell, who arrived in Maryland in 1665 
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Bedell Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Nicho Bedell, who arrived in Virginia in 1703 
Bedell Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Samuel Bedell, who arrived in New York in 1832 
- Mr. Bedell, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1850 
| Bedell migration to Canada ||+|
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Bedell Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Mr. John Bedell U.E. born in Staten Island, New York, USA who settled in Woodstock, New Brunswick c. 1783 he was a magistrate for 40 years 
- Mr. Joseph Bedell U.E. born in Long Island, New York, USA who settled in Saint John, New Brunswick c. 1783 
- Mr. Paul Bedell U.E. born in Long Island, New York, USA who settled in Saint John, New Brunswick c. 1783 
- Mr. Stephen Bedell U.E. born in Long Island, New York, USA who settled in Saint John, New Brunswick c. 1783 
- Mr. William Bedell U.E. born in Long Island, New York, USA who settled in Saint John, New Brunswick c. 1783 
|Contemporary Notables of the name Bedell (post 1700) ||+|
- Berkley Warren Bedell (1921-2019), American Democratic Party politician, Member of the U.S. House of Representatives (1975-1987)
- Howard William Bedell (b. 1935), American former Major League Baseball player
- Joel Ferree Bedell Jr. (1905-1992), American Democratic Party politician, Public affairs representative, Humble Oil and Refining Company; Member of West Virginia State House of Delegates from Kanawha County, 1961-66; Defeated, 1966 
- Jeffrey Bedell, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from California, 1964 
- Harry E. Bedell, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from New York, 1904 
- Gilbert Bedell, American politician, Member of New York State Assembly from Greene County, 1825, 1840 
- G. Archie Bedell, American Democratic Party politician, Candidate for Michigan State House of Representatives, 1950, 1952, 1954, 1956 
- Forrest Bedell, American Republican politician, Chair of Rockingham County Republican Party, 1952; Delegate to Republican National Convention from North Carolina, 1960 
- Eugene J. Bedell, American Democratic Party politician, Member of New Jersey State Senate 12th District, 1976 
- David A. Bedell, American politician, Candidate for Connecticut State Senate 36th District, 2010 
- ... (Another 6 notables are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
- Smith, Eldson Coles, New Dictionary of American Family Names New York: Harper & Row, 1956. Print
- Reaney, P.H and R.M. Wilson, A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X)
- "What are the 5,000 Most Common Last Names in the U.S.?". NameCensus.com, https://namecensus.com/last-names/
- Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- Rubincam, Milton. The Old United Empire Loyalists List. Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc, 1976. (Originally published as; United Empire Loyalists. The Centennial of the Settlement of Upper Canada. Rose Publishing Company, 1885.) ISBN 0-8063-0331-X
- The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, October 9) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html