Beddome History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The ancient roots of the Beddome family name are in the Anglo-Saxon culture. The name Beddome comes from when the family lived in the Pas-de-Calais region of Normandy here the family lived before coming to England with the Norman Conquest and settling in the county of Essex. Other records show the name could have been a baptismal name derived from the expression the son of Beatrice from the nickname Bete.
Early Origins of the Beddome family
The surname Beddome was first found in Shropshire, where "Walter De Betton had a freehold estate at Betton-Strange, near Shrewsbury, in the reign of Edward I. William Betton, fourth in descent from Walter, was seated at Great Berwick prior to the reign of Henry IV."  Betton Strange is today a hamlet in the civil parish of Berrington and home to Betton Strange Hall which was built in the 1800s.
Early History of the Beddome family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Beddome research. Another 230 words (16 lines of text) covering the years 1285, 1316, 1327, 1379, 1397, 1399, 1543, 1582, 1583, 1598, 1620, 1625, 1661 and 1779 are included under the topic Early Beddome History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Beddome Spelling Variations
One relatively recent invention that did much to standardize English spelling was the printing press. However, before its invention even the most literate people recorded their names according to sound rather than spelling. The spelling variations under which the name Beddome has appeared include Bettin, Bettinson, Betin, Betun, Betonessone, Betissone, Betonson, Bittinson, Bettine, Betenson, Bettenson, Bettinsoonne, Betinson and many more.
Early Notables of the Beddome family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Beddome Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Beddome migration to Australia +
Emigration to Australia
followed the First Fleets
of convicts, tradespeople and early settlers. Early immigrants include:
Beddome Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Robert Winter Beddome, who arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Anna Robertson" in 1839 
Contemporary Notables of the name Beddome (post 1700) +
- Benjamin Beddome (1717-1795), English writer of hymns, born at Henley-in-Arden, South Warwickshire, the son of the Rev. John Beddome, Baptist minister 
Related Stories +
- ^ Shirley, Evelyn Philip, The Noble and Gentle Men of England; The Arms and Descents. Westminster: John Bower Nichols and Sons, 1866, Print.
- ^ State Records of South Australia. (Retrieved 2010, November 5) ANNA ROBERTSON 1839. Retrieved from http://www.slsa.sa.gov.au/BSA/1839AnnaRobertson.htm
- ^ Wikisource contributors. "Dictionary of National Biography, 1885-1900." Wikisource . Wikisource , 4 Jun. 2018. Web. 14 June. 2019