Barwise History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Barwise family
The surname Barwise was first found in Cumberland, where they held a family seat on the English/Scottish border. After the Norman Conquest of England many of Duke William's rebellious Barons moved north. The border became a convenient but turbulent no-man's land where the persecuted Many were given land by King Malcolm Canmore and later by King David of Scotland. Some were native Scots. In the 16th century they became known as the 'unruly clans'.
Important Dates for the Barwise family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Barwise research. Another 137 words (10 lines of text) covering the years 1510, 1600, 1234, 1374, 1580, 1616, 1601, 1648, 1628, 1635, 1662, 1648, 1649, 1652, 1621 and 1648 are included under the topic Early Barwise History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Barwise Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Barwise, Barwis, Barwese, Barwize, Barwiss and many more.
Early Notables of the Barwise family (pre 1700)
Notable amongst the family at this time was Anthony Barwis (1580-1616), and his son, Richard Barwis (1601-1648), an English politician, Member of Parliament for Carlisle in 1628, High Sheriff of Cumberland in 1635, known as "Great Richard" Barwis because...
Another 39 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Barwise Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Barwise migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Typical Barwise Emigration from the United Kingdom to North America
Barwise Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- C. A. Barwise, aged 56, who immigrated to the United States from Southampton, in 1897
Barwise Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Joseph Barwise, aged 24, who immigrated to the United States from Hensingham, in 1904
- Walter Barwise, aged 25, who settled in America from Farnworth, England, in 1907
- George Barwise, aged 20, who settled in America from Workington, England, in 1912
- Arthur Barwise, aged 35, who immigrated to the United States, in 1919
- Arthur Barwise, who landed in America from Waterloo, in 1920
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Barwise (post 1700)
- Mark Alton Barwise (b. 1881), the only American publicly practicing member of the Spiritualist religion known to have been elected to a state office in the United States
- Kenneth Jon Barwise (1942-2000), American mathematician, philosopher and logician, eponym of the Barwise Prize and the Barwise compactness theorem
You May Also Like