Bahan History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The Irish name Bahan comes from the Gaelic name O Beachain, possibly derived from the word "beach," which means "bee." It was also an Anglicized version of the Gaelic personal name Beathán, from "beatha," meaning "life."
Early Origins of the Bahan family
The surname Bahan was first found in County Kerry (Irish:Ciarraí) part of the former County Desmond (14th-17th centuries), located in Southwestern Ireland, in Munster province, where they held a family seat from ancient times.
Early History of the Bahan family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Bahan research. Another 52 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Bahan History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Bahan Spelling Variations
The recording of names in Ireland in the Middle Ages was an inconsistent endeavor at best. The many regional dialects and the predominate illiteracy would have made common surnames appear unrelated to the scribes of the period. Research into the name Bahan revealed spelling variations, including Behan, Beehan, Beaghan, O'Behan, Beehan, Beagan, O'Beaghan, O'Behen, Behen and many more.
Early Notables of the Bahan family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Bahan Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Bahan migration to the United States +
Irish families began to immigrate to British North America and the United States in the 18th century, but the greatest influx of Irish immigrants came during the Great Potato Famine of the late 1840s. The earlier settlers came to North America after a great deal of consideration and by paying relatively high fees for their passage. These settlers were primarily drawn by the promise of land. Those later settlers that came during the 1840's were trying to escape the conditions of poverty, starvation, disease, and death that had stricken Ireland. Due to the enormity of their numbers and the late date of their arrival, these immigrants primarily became hired laborers instead of homesteading settlers like their predecessors. An exhaustive search of immigration and passenger lists has revealed many Irish immigrants North America bearing the name Bahan:
Bahan Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Peter Bahan, who arrived in Boston Massachusetts in 1849
- Cath. Nicolas Bahan both arrived in New York state in 1854
- Nicolas Bahan, aged 19, who arrived in New York in 1854 
- Patrick Bahan, who arrived in Philadelphia in 1860
Contemporary Notables of the name Bahan (post 1700) +
- Walter W. Bahan, American politician, Member of New York State Assembly from New York County 9th District, 1893
- James Bahan, American politician, Representative from New York 11th District, 1892
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)