Origins Available: Irish
Early Origins of the Artur family
The surname Artur was first found in the county of Berwickshire
an ancient county of Scotland
, presently part of the Scottish Borders Council Area, located in the eastern part of the Borders Region of Scotland, in south eastern Scotland
where they have held a family seat
from ancient times. The Arthur family traced their descent from King Aedan Mac Gabrain, King of Dalriada, whose mother was a British Princess, and named his eldest son Arthur, and he was believed to be the first Gael to bear the name. The family name was recorded in the late 6th and early 7th century.
Early History of the Artur family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Artur research.Another 61 words (4 lines of text) covering the years 160 and 1606 are included under the topic Early Artur History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Artur Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Archibure, Arthuwire, Artheor, Arthurs, Arture, Harthawr, Artair, Artuir and many more.
Early Notables of the Artur family (pre 1700)
Another 21 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Artur Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Artur family to Ireland
Some of the Artur family moved to Ireland
, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.Another 53 words (4 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Artur family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Joseph Arthur who settled in Virginia in 1623. Another Arthur settled in Barbados in 1679. Alexander Arthur arrived in Philadelphia in 1808; and many more..
Contemporary Notables of the name Artur (post 1700)
- Tomasz Artur Makowski (b. 1970), Director General of the National Library of Poland
- Artur Rother (1885-1972), German opera conductor
- Artur Manuel Soares Correia (1950-2016), Portuguese footballer
- Artur Fischer (1919-2016), German inventor, best known for his invention of the wall Plug in 1958; he held over 1100 patents and overtook Thomas Alva Edison who held 1093 patents
- Artur Sobiech (b. 1990), Polish footballer
- Artur Kapp (1878-1952), Estonian composer
- Artur Filipe Bernardes Moreira (b. 1984), known simply as Arturis, a Portuguese professional footballer
- Artur Ullrich (b. 1957), East German silver medalist footballer at the 1980 Summer Olympics
- Artur Górski (b. 1970), Polish politician, Member of Sejm 2005-
- Artur Kogan (b. 1974), Ukrainian–born, Israeli chess grandmaster