Arlow History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The lineage of the name Arlow begins with the Anglo-Saxon tribes in Britain. It is a result of when they lived in the parish of Harlow in the county of Essex.
Early Origins of the Arlow family
The surname Arlow was first found in Essex where Richard de Herlawe was listed in the Hundredorum Rolls of 1273. The same rolls listed Nicholas de Herlawe, Northamptonshire. 
Early History of the Arlow family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Arlow research. Another 109 words (8 lines of text) covering the years 1273, 1599, 1601, 1795, 1647, 1741, 1689, 1690, 1692 and 1741 are included under the topic Early Arlow History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Arlow Spelling Variations
Only recently has spelling become standardized in the English language. As the English language evolved in the Middle Ages, the spelling of names changed also. The name Arlow has undergone many spelling variations, including Harlow, Harlowe and others.
Early Notables of the Arlow family (pre 1700)
Notables of the family at this time include Thomas Harlowe (d. 1741), English Captain in the Navy who on 19 March 1689-1690 appointed to command the Smyrna Merchant, hired ship, and took post from that date. In the following year he commanded the Burford of 70 guns, in the grand fleet...
Another 50 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Arlow Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Arlow family
To escape the unstable social climate in England of this time, many families boarded ships for the New World with the hope of finding land, opportunity, and greater religious and political freedom. Although the voyages were expensive, crowded, and difficult, those families that arrived often found greater opportunities and freedoms than they could have experienced at home. Many of those families went on to make significant contributions to the rapidly developing colonies in which they settled. Early North American records indicate many people bearing the name Arlow were among those contributors: John Harlow, who arrived in Virginia in 1619, before the "Mayflower"; Anthony Harlow settled in Virginia in 1623; Mary Harlow settled in Maryland in 1722.
Contemporary Notables of the name Arlow (post 1700) +
- Jacob Arlow (1912-2004), American teacher, scholar, and clinician, former President of the American Psychoanalytic Association
- Vyninka Arlow (b. 1974), Australian Olympic diver at the 1992 and 1996 Summer Olympics
- Arlow Stout (1876-1957), American botanist
- Arlow Dahl, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from North Dakota, 1944 
Related Stories +
- ^ Bardsley, C.W, A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 12) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html