Arlow History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The lineage of the name Arlow begins with the Anglo-Saxon tribes in Britain. It is a result of when they lived in the parish of Harlow in the county of Essex.
Early Origins of the Arlow family
The surname Arlow was first found in Essex where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
Important Dates for the Arlow family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Arlow research. Another 57 words (4 lines of text) covering the year 1273 is included under the topic Early Arlow History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Arlow Spelling Variations
Only recently has spelling become standardized in the English language. As the English language evolved in the Middle Ages, the spelling of names changed also. The name Arlow has undergone many spelling variations, including Harlow, Harlowe and others.
Early Notables of the Arlow family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Arlow Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Arlow family
To escape the unstable social climate in England of this time, many families boarded ships for the New World with the hope of finding land, opportunity, and greater religious and political freedom. Although the voyages were expensive, crowded, and difficult, those families that arrived often found greater opportunities and freedoms than they could have experienced at home. Many of those families went on to make significant contributions to the rapidly developing colonies in which they settled. Early North American records indicate many people bearing the name Arlow were among those contributors: John Harlow, who arrived in Virginia in 1619, before the "Mayflower"; Anthony Harlow settled in Virginia in 1623; Mary Harlow settled in Maryland in 1722.
Contemporary Notables of the name Arlow (post 1700)
- Jacob Arlow (1912-2004), American teacher, scholar, and clinician, former President of the American Psychoanalytic Association
- Vyninka Arlow (b. 1974), Australian Olympic diver at the 1992 and 1996 Summer Olympics
- Arlow Stout (1876-1957), American botanist
- Arlow Dahl, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from North Dakota, 1944 
You May Also Like
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 12) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html