Andrie History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The first family to use the name Andrie lived among the Pictish people of ancient Scotland. The name Andrie is derived from the Gaelic name Mac Aindreis, which means son of Andrew.
Early Origins of the Andrie family
The surname Andrie was first found in Inverness-shire (Gaelic: Siorrachd Inbhir Nis) divided between the present day Scottish Council Areas of Highland and Western Isles, and consisting of a large northern mainland area and various island areas off the west coast, the shire was anciently both a Pictish and Norwegian stronghold, where they held a family seat from early times and their first records appeared on the early census rolls taken by the early Kings of Britain to determine the rate of taxation of their subjects.
Important Dates for the Andrie family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Andrie research. Another 107 words (8 lines of text) covering the year 1300 is included under the topic Early Andrie History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Andrie Spelling Variations
Repeated and inaccurate translation of Scottish names from Gaelic to English and back resulted in a wide variety of spelling variations with single names. Andrie has appeared M'Andrew, M'Andrews, MacAndrew, MacAndrews and others.
Early Notables of the Andrie family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Andrie Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Andrie migration to the United States
Many Scottish families suffered enormous hardships and were compelled to leave their country of birth. They traveled to Ireland and Australia, but mostly to the colonies of North America, where many found the freedom and opportunity they sought. It was not without a fight, though, as many were forced to stand up and defend their freedom in the American War of Independence. The ancestors of these Scots abroad have rediscovered their heritage in the last century through the Clan societies and other organizations that have sprung up across North America. Immigration and passenger ship lists show some important early immigrants bearing the name Andrie:
Andrie Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Henrich Andrie, who landed in Carolina in 1738 
- Philip Henrich Andrie, who landed in Carolina in 1738 
- Earnest Andrie, who arrived in America in 1782 
Contemporary Notables of the name Andrie (post 1700)
- George Joseph Andrie (b. 1940), American former professional NFL football defensive end who played for the Dallas Cowboys, from 1962 through 1972
- William J. Andrie, American Democrat politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from Illinois 6th District, 1988 
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 23) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html