Amell History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
From the historical and enchanting region of Scotland emerged a multitude of noble families, including the distinguished Amell family. Originally, the Scottish people were known only by a single name. The process by which hereditary surnames were adopted in Scotland is extremely interesting. Surnames evolved during the Middle Ages when people began to assume an extra name to avoid confusion and to further identify themselves. Often they adopted names that were derived from nicknames. Nickname surnames were derived from an eke-name, or added name. They usually reflected the physical characteristics or attributes of the first person that used the name. The name Amell is a nickname type of surname Anglicized from the Gaelic name O'hAdhmaill, which means active.
Early Origins of the Amell family
The surname Amell was first found in Normandy, where Robert, Ranulph, Turstan and Savaric Hamel were recorded in 1180. From Normandy they branched to England in the wake of the Conquest. Shortly after their arrival in England members of the family moved to Scotland, and throughout the following centuries branches of this family were to remain in France as well as in their new homelands.
Early History of the Amell family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Amell research. Another 104 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1143, 1194, 1206, 1214, 1379, 1418, and 1497 are included under the topic Early Amell History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Amell Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Hamill, Hammill, Hamil, Hommill, Homill, Homil, Hammel, Hammell and many more.
Early Notables of the Amell family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Amell Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Amell family to Ireland
Some of the Amell family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 91 words (6 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Amell migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Amell Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Francisco Amell, who landed in Puerto Rico in 1871 
Contemporary Notables of the name Amell (post 1700) +
- Bernard Amell, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from New York, 1980 
- Stephen Amell (b. 1981), Canadian Gemini Award winning actor, known for his roles in Arrow (2012), Injustice: Gods Among Us (2013) and The Tracey Fragments (2007)
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 4) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html