on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: English, French, Irish
Where did the English Allen family come from? What is the English Allen family crest and coat of arms? When did the Allen family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Allen family history?The name of the Allen family is derived from the given name Alan, which is thought to mean "little rock" or "headstone." The name was popular among the Breton followers of William the Conqueror due to St. Alan, a 5th-century bishop from Quimper, Brittany; during the Middle Ages, parents often named their children after saints in the hope that the child would be blessed or protected by the saint.
Since the Old and Middle English languages lacked definite spelling rules, Breton surnames have many spelling variations. Latin and French, which were the official court languages, were also influential on the spelling of surnames. The spelling of surnames was rarely consistent in medieval times, and scribes and church officials recorded names as they sounded rather than adhering to any specific spelling rules. Therefore, it was common to find the same individual referred to with different spellings of their surname in the ancient chronicles. Moreover, a large number of foreign names were brought into England after the Norman Conquest, which accelerated and accentuated the alterations to the spelling of various surnames. The name has been spelled Alan, Allan, Allen, Alleyn, Allayne, Allaine, Allain, Allanach, Allanshaw, MacAllan and many more.
First found in the lands of Shropshire, where Walter FitzAlan of Brittany held a family seat after the Norman Conquest of 1066. The parish of Mileham, Norfolk is of early significance to the family. "This place, at the time of the Conquest, was given to Alan, son of Flaald, and ancestor of the Fitz-Alans, earls of Arundel, who erected a strong castle here, of which some vestiges may still be traced, within the area of an intrenchment of twelve acres; the site of the keep is pointed out by an inner intrenchment by which it was surrounded." 
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Allen research. Another 229 words (16 lines of text) covering the years 1296, 1532, 1594, 1583, 1658, 1596, 1671, 1637, 1608, 1673, 1610, 1681, 1612, 1685, 1614, 1677, 1621, 1663, 1660, 1677, 1686, 1677, 1686, 1694, 1764, 1661, 1726 and 1717 are included under the topic Early Allen History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 303 words (22 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Allen Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Allen family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 137 words (10 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Investigation of immigration and passenger lists has revealed a number of people bearing the name Allen:
Allen Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Mr. Allen, who arrived in Virginia in 1623
- Anne Allen, who arrived in Boston in 1635
- Edwd Allen, who landed in Virginia in 1635
- Francis Allen, who landed in Lynn, Massachusetts in 1635
- Gideon Allen, who arrived in Lynn, Massachusetts in 1635
Allen Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Samuel Allen, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1702
- Alex Allen, who arrived in Virginia in 1703
- Archb Allen, who arrived in Virginia in 1706
- Thomas Allen, who landed in Antigua (Antego) in 1711
- Timo Allen, who landed in Virginia in 1717
Allen Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Isabella Allen, aged 32, landed in New York, NY in 1803
- Thos Allen, who arrived in America in 1805
- Wm Allen, who landed in America in 1805
- Jno Allen, who landed in New York, NY in 1812
- Alexander F Allen, who arrived in America in 1812
Allen Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Thomas Richard Allen, who landed in Alabama in 1918
Allen Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Abigail Allen, who landed in Nova Scotia in 1750
- Alexr Allen, who landed in Nova Scotia in 1750
- Amy Allen, who landed in Nova Scotia in 1750
- Benjn Allen, who landed in Nova Scotia in 1750
- Ebenezer Allen, who arrived in Halifax, Nova Scotia in 1778
Allen Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Timothy Allen, who arrived in Canada in 1828
- M. Allen, aged 22, a gentleman, arrived in Saint John, NB in 1833 aboard the ship "Ward" from Limerick
- Thomas Allen, aged 28, a labourer, arrived in Saint John, NB in 1834 aboard the brig "Trafalgar" from Galway
- Benjamin M Allen, who arrived in Canada in 1834
- Richard Allen, a British deserter who remained in Philadelphia after the American Revolution, William Allan, who emigrated from Scotland to Montreal in 1835
Allen Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- John Allen, English convict from Surrey, who was transported aboard the "Ann" on August 1809, settling in New South Wales, Australia
- James Allen, English convict from Worcester, who was transported aboard the "Arab" on July 3, 1822, settling in Van Diemen's Land, Austraila
- John Allen, English convict from Surrey, who was transported aboard the "Albion" on May 17, 1823, settling in Van Diemen's Land, Australia
- Joseph Allen, English convict from Warwick, who was transported aboard the "Andromeda" on October 16, 1826, settling in Van Diemen's Land, Australia
- William Allen, English convict from Surrey, who was transported aboard the "Andromeda" on October 16, 1826, settling in Van Diemen's Land, Australia
Allen Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- John Allen landed in Waipa, Auckland, New Zealand in 1804
- Thomas Allen landed in New Plymouth, New Zealand in 1840 aboard the ship Amelia Thompson
- W Allen landed in New Plymouth, New Zealand in 1840 aboard the ship Amelia Thompson
- William Allen landed in Wellington, New Zealand in 1840 aboard the ship Cuba
- Fredrick Kenneth Allen landed in Wellington, New Zealand in 1840
- Eugene Allen (1918-2015), American Academy Award winning art director, President of the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences (1983-1985)
- Susan Allen (1951-2015), American harpist, Associate Dean of the Herb Alpert School of Music at California Institute of the Arts
- Eric Allen (1949-2015), American CFL football player for the Toronto Argonauts (1972-1975)
- Mr. John Allen, American 2nd Class passenger from Philadephia, Pennsylvania, USA, who sailed aboard the RMS Lusitania and survived the sinking
- Miss Dorothy Ditman Allen (d. 1915), American 1st Class Passenger from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA going to Liverpool, England as maid to the Crompton family, who sailed aboard the RMS Lusitania and died in the sinking
- Miss Elizabeth Walton Allen, aged 29, American First Class passenger from St. Louis, Missouri who sailed aboard the RMS Titanic and survived the sinking escaping in life boat 2
- Lee Dale Allen (1934-2012), American professional wrestler and wrestling coach
- Brigadier-General Wayne Russell Allen (1899-1975), American Commanding Officer 160th Infantry Regiment (1937-1941)
- Major-General Terry de la Mesa Allen (1888-1969), American Commanding General 104th Division, North-West Europe (1943-1946)
- Brigadier-General Frank Albert Jr. Allen (1896-1979), American Chief Public Relation Supreme Headquarter Allied Expeditionary Forces (1944-1945)
- The Allen Family: Descendants of John and Amy Cox Allen with Allied Lines by Lester M. Allen.
- Allen and Allied Families by Dorris Allen O'Neal Dunn.
- ^ Lewis, Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of England. Institute of Historical Research, 1848, Print.
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. The Tartans of the Clans and Families of Scotland 1st Edition. Edinburgh: W & A. K. Johnston Limited, 1938. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Bullock, L.G. Historical Map of England and Wales. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1971. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Leeson, Francis L. Dictionary of British Peerages. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1121-5).
- MacAulay, Thomas Babington. History of England from the Accession of James the Second 4 volumes. New York: Harper and Brothers, 1879. Print.
- Foster, Joseph. Dictionary of Heraldry Feudal Coats of Arms and Pedigrees. London: Bracken Books, 1989. Print. (ISBN 1-85170-309-8).
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
The Allen Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Allen Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 10 February 2016 at 03:00.
on orders of $85 or more