name Alchin comes from when the family resided in the village of Alchorne in the parish of Rotherfield, Sussex.
Early Origins of the Alchin family
The surname Alchin was first found in the county of Sussex
, where they held a family seat
from ancient times, long before the Norman Conquest
Early History of the Alchin family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Alchin research.Another 101 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1066, 1476, 1541, 1591, and 1687 are included under the topic Early Alchin History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Alchin Spelling Variations
Before English spelling was standardized a few hundred
years ago, spelling variations
of names were a common occurrence. Elements of Latin, French and other languages became incorporated into English through the Middle Ages, and name spellings changed even among the literate. The variations of the surname Alchin include Alcorn, Alcorne, Aldcorn, Aldcorne, Allcorn, Allcorne, Alchorn, Alchorne, Auldcorn, Auldcorne, Elcorn, Elcorne, Elchorne, Euldcorn, Euldchorne, Haldcorn, Halcorn and many more.
Early Notables of the Alchin family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Alchin Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Alchin family to Ireland
Some of the Alchin family moved to Ireland
, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.Another 60 words (4 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Alchin family to the New World and Oceana
A great wave of immigration to the New World was the result of the enormous political and religious disarray that struck England
at that time. Families left for the New World in extremely large numbers. The long journey was the end of many immigrants and many more arrived sick and starving. Still, those who made it were rewarded with an opportunity far greater than they had known at home in England
. These emigrant families went on to make significant contributions to these emerging colonies in which they settled. Some of the first North American settlers carried this name or one of its variants:
Alchin Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Alfred H. Alchin, aged 40, who immigrated to the United States, in 1893
Alchin Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Fredrick Alchin, aged 31, who immigrated to America, in 1905
- Maggie Alchin, aged 29, who landed in America, in 1905
- Charles G. Alchin, aged 24, who landed in America from Cummingar, Australia, in 1919
- William Alchin, aged 19, who immigrated to the United States, in 1921
- William E Alchin, aged 19, who landed in America, in 1921
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Alchin (post 1700)
- William Turner Alchin (1790-1865), English antiquarian and solicitor, born at St. Mary-at-Hill, Billingsgate CITATION[CLOSE]
Wikisource contributors. "Dictionary of National Biography, 1885-1900." Wikisource . Wikisource , 4 Jun. 2018. Web. 17 Apr. 2019
- Jason Andrew Alchin (b. 1967), former Australian professional rugby league player
- Gordon Alchin (1894-1947), British poet, Second lieutenant in the Royal Field Artillery at Flanders (1914-1915), judge and Liberal Party politician
Alchin Family Crest Products
- ^ Wikisource contributors. "Dictionary of National Biography, 1885-1900." Wikisource . Wikisource , 4 Jun. 2018. Web. 17 Apr. 2019