Abbi History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Abbi comes from the kingdom of Dalriada in ancient Scotland. It was a name for a person who worked as a person who was a lay-abbot of a monastery. In the Middle Ages, this was the title held usually by the leading family of the village.
Early Origins of the Abbi family
The surname Abbi was first found in the county of Angus, in the parish of Abbey and Brechin. The first record was of Donald Abbe of Brechin in 1178, who witnessed a charter with Turpin, Bishop of Brechin, and later he gifted the lands of Balegillegrand to the Abbey of Arbroath, which grant was confirmed by King William the Lion.
Early History of the Abbi family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Abbi research. Another 69 words (5 lines of text) covering the years 1219 and 1370 are included under the topic Early Abbi History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Abbi Spelling Variations
The translation of Gaelic names in the Middle Ages was not a task undertaken with great care. Records from that era show an enormous number of spelling variations, even in names referring to the same person. Over the years Abbi has appeared as Abbey, Aba, Abbe, Abbie, Abey, Abbeys, Aby and others.
Early Notables of the Abbi family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Abbi Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Abbi migration to the United States +
Ancestors of many of the Dalriadan families who crossed the Atlantic still live along the east coast of the United States and Canada. Some Scottish settlers arrived in Canada during the American War of Independence as United Empire Loyalists, while others stayed south to fight for a new nation. The descendants of Scottish settlers in both countries began to rediscover their heritage in the 19th and 20th centuries through Clan societies and highland games. An inquiry into the early roots of North American families has revealed a number of immigrants bearing the name Abbi or a variant listed above:
Abbi Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Dr. Abbi, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1850 
Contemporary Notables of the name Abbi (post 1700) +
- Abbi Tatton (b. 1975), English former Internet reporter for CNN
- Abbi Easter, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Virginia, 1996, 2000, 2004, 2008 
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, October 7) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html