100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The surname Waddell comes from the place named Wedale, in the parish of Stow, near Edinburgh. As such it is a habitation name, a category of surnames derived from pre-existing names for towns, villages, parishes, or farmsteads.
The surname Waddell was first found in Midlothian
, where they had held territories at Wedale in the parish of Stow from ancient times.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Waddel, Waddell, Waddle, Weddel, Weddell, Weddle and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Waddell research. Another 378 words (27 lines of text) covering the years 1296, 1327, 1372, and 1600 are included under the topic Early Waddell History in all our PDF Extended History products
More information is included under the topic Early Waddell Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the Waddell family moved to Ireland
, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 85 words (6 lines of text) about their life in Ireland
is included in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Waddell Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- William Waddell, who landed in New England in 1643
Waddell Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Mathew Waddell, aged 43, arrived in Maryland in 1812
- Francis Waddell, aged 45, landed in Maryland in 1813
- John Waddell, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1850
- William Waddell settled in San Francisco in 1852
- Margaret Waddell, aged 23, arrived in New York in 1868
Waddell Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Geo Waddell, who arrived in Canada in 1820
- James Waddell, who arrived in Nova Scotia in 1848
Waddell Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- John Waddell, aged 22, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Jane Gifford" in 1842
- Catherine Waddell, aged 19, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Jane Gifford" in 1842
- Jane Waddell landed in Auckland, New Zealand in 1845
- James Waddell, aged 33, a miner, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Strathnaver" in 1874
- Agnes Waddell, aged 24, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Strathnaver" in 1874
- Dr. Tom Waddell (1937-1987), American sportsman and competitor at the 1968 Summer Olympics, founder of the Gay Olympics in 1982 in San Francisco
- John Henry Waddell (b. 1921), American sculptor, painter and educator
- John Alexander Low Waddell (1854-1938), American civil engineer and prolific bridge designer with more than a thousand structures to his credit throughout North America
- Donald Waddell (b. 1958), American NHL hockey player, former, and last President of the Atlanta Thrashers
- Chris Waddell (b. 1968), American five-time gold, six-time silver medalist Paralympic sit-skier and wheelchair track athlete
- Avery Waddell, American actor, known for his roles in Road Trip (2000), True Crime: New York City (2005) and The New Guy (2002)
- William Bradford Waddell (1807-1872), American frontiersman, co-founder of the Pony Express
- Thomas David "Tom" Waddell (b. 1958), American former Major League Baseball pitcher
- James Iredell Waddell (1824-1886), American officer in the United States Navy and later in the Confederate States Navy, eponym of the USS Waddell (DDG-24)
- Alfred Moore Waddell (1834-1912), American politician, U. S. Congressman from North Carolina between 1871 and 1879
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1970. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Scotch Irish Pioneers In Ulster and America. Montana: Kessinger Publishing. Print.
- Urquhart, Blair Edition. Tartans The New Compact Study Guide and Identifier. Secauccus, NJ: Chartwell Books, 1994. Print. (ISBN 0-7858-0050-6).
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry Including American Families with British Ancestry 2 Volumes. London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Bloxham, Ben. Key to Parochial Registers of Scotland From Earliest Times Through 1854 2nd edition. Provo, UT: Stevenson's Genealogical Center, 1979. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Bell, Robert. The Book of Ulster Surnames. Belfast: Blackstaff, 1988. Print. (ISBN 10-0856404160).
The Waddell Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Waddell Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 19 January 2016 at 15:27.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!