Vary History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Vary family
The surname Vary was first found in Lanarkshire (Gaelic: Siorrachd Lannraig) a former county in the central Strathclyde region of Scotland, now divided into the Council Areas of North Lanarkshire, South Lanarkshire, and the City of Glasgow, where they held a family seat at Rutherglen from early times, some say before the Norman Conquest in 1066. An ancient couplet says "nae man can tell, nae man has seen, when the Faries Haena in Ruglen been." A rough translation of this couplet: "no man can remember when there hasn't been a family of Faries at Rutherglen." 
Important Dates for the Vary family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Vary research. Another 90 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1296 and are included under the topic Early Vary History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Vary Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Fairie, Fairrie, Farie, Fairey, Ferry, Ferrie, Fairy, Faireye and many more.
Early Notables of the Vary family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Vary Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Vary family to Ireland
Some of the Vary family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 77 words (6 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Vary migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Typical Vary Emigration from the United Kingdom to North America
Vary Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Joseph Vary, who arrived in New York in 1819 
- Charlotte Vary, aged 67, who immigrated to America, in 1895
- Edward Dwyar Vary, aged 30, who landed in America, in 1895
Vary Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- George Vary, aged 20, who landed in America, in 1920
- Emma Vary, aged 26, who immigrated to the United States, in 1921
Contemporary Notables of the name Vary (post 1700)
- Samuel Vary Jr., American politician, Member of New York State Assembly from Rensselaer County, 1803-04 
- Charles R. Vary, American politician, Member of New York State Assembly from Onondaga County, 1843 
- Ralph Vary Chamberlin (1879-1967), American zoologist
You May Also Like
- ^ Black, George F., The Surnames of Scotland Their Origin, Meaning and History. New York: New York Public Library, 1946. Print. (ISBN 0-87104-172-3)
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 10) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html