on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: English, German, Irish
Where did the English Tucker family come from? What is the English Tucker family crest and coat of arms? When did the Tucker family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Tucker family history?The name Tucker is part of the ancient legacy of the Anglo-Saxon tribes of Britain. The Tucker family took the name when one of its members worked as a fuller, whose job it was to scour and thicken raw cloth by beating it and trampling it in water having derived from the Old English word tucian, which originally meant to torment and later gained the meaning to tuck or to full. Occasionally, the name Tucker was a nickname surname given to a courageous person.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Tucker, Tooker, Toker, Tokker and others.
First found in Devon where they held a family seat from very ancient times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Tucker research. Another 243 words(17 lines of text) covering the years 1741, 1565, 1623, 1601, 1614, 1592, 1664, 1654, 1664, 1625 and 1676 are included under the topic Early Tucker History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 125 words(9 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Tucker Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Tucker family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 37 words(3 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Tucker Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- John Tucker explored the rivers of Maine in 1602
- Daniel Tucker settled in Virginia in 1607
- Daniel Tucker, who landed in Virginia in 1608
- William Tucker settled in Virginia in 1610
- William Tucker settled in Maine in 1621
Tucker Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Elizabeth Tucker, who arrived in Carolina in 1724
- Charlotte Tucker, who landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1773
Tucker Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Francis Tucker, aged 37, landed in Alexandria, Va in 1801
- Sally E Tucker, aged 10, landed in Alexandria, Va in 1801
- Maria D Tucker, aged 12, arrived in Alexandria, Va in 1801
- James Henry Tucker, aged 21, arrived in Alexandria, Va in 1801
- Richard Tucker, who arrived in America in 1807
Tucker Settlers in Canada in the 17th Century
- John and Richard Tucker, from Teignmouth in Devon, who settled in St. John's, Newfoundland in 1676
Tucker Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Freelove Tucker, who arrived in Nova Scotia in 1760
- Henry Tucker, who arrived in Nova Scotia in 1760
- Solomon Tucker, who arrived in New Brunswick in 1783
Tucker Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Timothy Tucker, who arrived in Halifax, Nova Scotia in 1843
Tucker Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Thomas Tucker, English convict from Lancaster, who was transported aboard the "Agamemnon" on April 22, 1820, settling in New South Wales, Australia
- James Tucker, a tyler, arrived in New South Wales, Australia sometime between 1825 and 1832
- Benjamin Tucker arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Diadem" in 1840
- Keziah Jane Tucker arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Diadem" in 1840
- Benjamin Frederick Tucker arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Diadem" in 1840
Tucker Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Josias Tucker, aged 36, a blacksmith, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Duke of Roxburgh" in 1840
- William H. Tucker, aged 8, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Duke of Roxburgh" in 1840
- Eliza Ann Tucker, aged 6, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Duke of Roxburgh" in 1840
- Samuel J. Tucker, aged 3, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Duke of Roxburgh" in 1840
- Josias Tucker, aged 1, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Duke of Roxburgh" in 1840
- Tommy Tucker (1933-1982), American blues singer-songwriter and pianist
- Tanya Denise Tucker (b. 1958), award-winning American country singer
- Henry Tucker (1826-1882), American songwriter
- Albert William Tucker (1905-1995), American educator and mathematician
- Forrest Tucker (1919-1986), American actor in both movies and television
- Eddie Jack Tucker (b. 1966), American former Major League Baseball player
- Richard Tucker (1913-1975), American tenor who performed with the New York Metropolitan Opera from 1945 to 1975
- Scott Tucker (b. 1976), American Olympic swimmer
- Walter Rayford Tucker III (b. 1957), American politician
- Cynthia Tucker (b. 1955), American reporter who won the 2007 Pulitzer Prize for Commentary and also a Pulitzer-nominated finalist in 2004 and 2006
- Descendants of Arthur Massey, Cheraws District, South Carolina, 1769, with Allied Lines of Thurman and Tucker by Carmae Massey Smith.
- The Descendants of William Tucker of Throwleigh, Devon by Robert Dennard Tucker.
- Genealogy & Ancestry of Descendants of Tom & Martha Clark: also the Families of Young, Tucker & Stalnaker by W.S. Ross.
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Cook, Chris. English Historical Facts 1603-1688. London: MacMillan, 1980. Print.
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin . Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Library of Congress. American and English Genealogies in the Library of Congress. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1967. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
The Tucker Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Tucker Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 16 March 2015 at 17:31.
on orders of $85 or more