100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: English, Scottish
Where did the English Stevenson family come from? What is the English Stevenson family crest and coat of arms? When did the Stevenson family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Stevenson family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Stevenson, Stephenson, Stephinson, Stevenston, Steenson, Stenson, Steinson and many more.
First found in Northumberland where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say before the Norman Conquest in 1066.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Stevenson research. Another 249 words(18 lines of text) covering the years 1150, 1296, 1455, 1764, 1850, and 1894 are included under the topic Early Stevenson History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 28 words(2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Stevenson Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Stevenson family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 263 words(19 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Stevenson Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Andrew Stevenson settled at Charlestown, Massachusetts in 1630
- Andrew Stevenson, who arrived at Charlestown Massachusetts in 1630
- Christ Stevenson, who arrived in Virginia in 1637
- Phill Stevenson, who arrived in Virginia in 1652
- Richard Stevenson, who came to Barbados in 1654
Stevenson Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Allen Stevenson, who arrived in America in 1700
- Jas Stevenson, who arrived in New England in 1728
- Thos Stevenson, who landed in Virginia in 1740
- Barnabas Stevenson, who landed in America in 1760-1763
- Robert Stevenson, who settled in Boston Massachusetts in 1763
Stevenson Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- John Stevenson, who arrived in America in 1802
- James Stevenson, who arrived in America in 1810
- Martha Stevenson, who landed in Baltimore, Maryland in 1811
- Thomas Stevenson, who landed in America in 1811
- Wm Stevenson, who arrived in New York, NY in 1812
Stevenson Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- William and Mathew Stevenson settled in Harbour Grace, Newfoundland, in 1760
Stevenson Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Andrew Stevenson, aged 19, a labourer, arrived in Saint John, NB aboard the ship "Favourite" in 1815
- James Stevenson, aged 65, a farmer, arrived in Quebec aboard the ship "Atlas" in 1815
- Andrew Stevenson, aged 19, a labourer, arrived in Saint John NB aboard the ship "Favourite" in 1815
- Donald Stevenson, aged 21, a labourer, arrived in Saint John NB aboard the ship "Favourite" in 1815
- Sam Stevenson, who landed in Canada in 1821
Stevenson Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Thomas Stevenson, a nailor, arrived in Van Diemenís Land (now Tasmania) sometime between 1825 and 1832
- David Stevenson, Scottish convict from Edinburgh, who was transported aboard the "Albion" on May 29, 1828, settling in New South Wales, Australia
- Alexander Stevenson, English convict from Oyer, who was transported aboard the "Argyle" on March 5th, 1831, settling in Van Diemen's Land, Austraila
- George Stevenson, aged 37, a secretary, arrived in Kangaroo Island aboard the ship "Buffalo" in 1836
Stevenson Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Burleigh R Stevenson landed in Wellington, New Zealand in 1840
- Thomas Stevenson landed in Wellington, New Zealand in 1840
- Isabella Blair Stevenson, aged 50, arrived in Otago aboard the ship "Philip Laing" in 1848
- Ann Stevenson, aged 30, arrived in Otago aboard the ship "Philip Laing" in 1848
- James Stevenson, aged 26, a farmer, arrived in Otago aboard the ship "Philip Laing" in 1848
- Edgar McLean Stevenson (1929-1996), American actor, most famous for his role as Lt. Colonel Henry Blake on the TV series M*A*S*H
- William Edwards Stevenson (1900-1985), American Olympic athlete, lawyer, diplomat, and Rhodes Scholar
- Alexandra Winfield Stevenson (b. 1980), American professional tennis player
- Carter Littlepage Stevenson Jr. (1817-1888), American general in the Confederate States Army in the Western Theater of the American Civil War
- Charles Leslie Stevenson (1908-1979), American analytic philosopher, Professor at Yale University from 1939 to 1946
- Coke Robert Stevenson (1888-1975), American politician, 35th Governor of Texas (1941-1947)
- DeShawn Stevenson (b. 1981), American professional NBA basketball player
- Eric A. Stevenson (b. 1966), American politician, Member of the New York State Assembly (2011-)
- Ian Pretyman Stevenson (1918-2007), Canadian-born, American psychiatrist, known for his Reincarnation research and his book Twenty Cases Suggestive of Reincarnation (1966)
- John Stevenson (1718-1785), Scottish-born, American merchant and doctor in Baltimore
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds. Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Library of Congress. American and English Genealogies in the Library of Congress. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1967. Print.
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Marcharn, Frederick George. A Constitutional History of Modern England 1485 to the Present. London: Harper and Brothers, 1960. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Sanders, Joanne McRee Edition. English Settlers in Barbados 1637-1800. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
The Stevenson Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Stevenson Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 30 March 2015 at 16:22.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!