on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the Scottish Spears family come from? What is the Scottish Spears family crest and coat of arms? When did the Spears family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Spears family history?The Spears surname comes from the Old English word "spere," meaning "spear." It may have orginally been a nickname for a tall skinny person, or perhaps for a hunter skilled at using the spear.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Speir, Spier, Spears, Speirs, Spiers, Speer, Speers, Spere, Speres, Spire, Spires, Speyer, Speier, Speery and many more.
First found in Renfrewshire (Gaelic: Siorrachd Rinn Frił), a historic county of Scotland, today encompassing the Council Areas of Renfrew, East Renfrewshire, and Iverclyde, in the Strathclyde region of southwestern Scotland, where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Spears research. Another 157 words(11 lines of text) covering the years 1417, 1475, 1626, and 1664 are included under the topic Early Spears History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Spears Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Spears family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 261 words(19 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Spears Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- James Spears, who landed in America in 1760-1763
- James Spears settled in New England in 1761
Spears Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Samuel Spears, who landed in America in 1810
- William Spears, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1824
- Alexander Spears, who landed in Somerset County, Pennsylvania in 1838
- Allen Spears, who arrived in Somerset County, Pennsylvania in 1838
- John Spears, who landed in Arkansas in 1855
Spears Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- James Spears, aged 47, who landed in America from Belfast, Ireland, in 1904
- James Spears, aged 5, who emigrated to the United States from Lanarkshire, Scotland, in 1910
- Elizabeth Spears, aged 11, who emigrated to the United States from Lanarkshire, Scotland, in 1910
- Annie Spears, aged 38, who settled in America from Lanarkshire, Scotland, in 1910
- Charles Spears, aged 25, who emigrated to the United States from Anfield Plain, England, in 1910
Spears Settlers in Canada in the 20th Century
- George Spears, aged 23, who emigrated to Halifax, Canada, in 1908
- Alexander Spears, aged 52, who emigrated to Yarmouth, Nova Scotia, in 1910
- Gladys Spears, aged 24, who settled in Montreal, Canada, in 1920
- John Spears, aged 39, who emigrated to Toronto, Canada, in 1922
- Ethel Spears, aged 35, who emigrated to Toronto, Canada, in 1922
Spears Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Gregory Spears, aged 20, a labourer, arrived in South Australia in 1851 aboard the ship "Navarino"
- William Spears, aged 32, arrived in South Australia in 1855 aboard the ship "Bucephalus"
Spears Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Thomas Spears landed in Epsom, Auckland, New Zealand in 1843
- Ken Spears (b. 1942), American TV writer and animator
- Marcus Spears (b. 1971), American NFL football offensive tackle
- Marcus Spears (b. 1983), American NFL football defensive end
- Warren Spears (1954-2005), American dancer and choreographer
- Aries Spears (b. 1975), American actor and comedian
- Britney Spears (b. 1981), American pop singer
- Major General Sir Edward Louis Spears KBE, CB, MC (1886-1974), British Army officer and Member of Parliament
- Major-General Sir Edward Spears Bt, KBE (1886-1974), British army officer
- Mr. Patrick James Spears, British Able Bodied Seaman, who sailed into battle on the HMS Repulse and survived the sinking, also sailed aboard the HMS Exeter
- The Families of Ruebsman, Spear, et al by Neil N. Ruebsamen.
- John E. and Noah Spears in Kentucky, Missouri, Kansas, Texas & Oklahama by L.K. Gillespie.
- Leyburn, James Graham. The Scotch-Irish A Social History. Chapel Hill: UNC Press, 1962. Print. (ISBN 0807842591).
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Holt, J.C. Ed. Domesday Studies. Woodbridge: Boydell, 1987. Print. (ISBN 0-85115-477-8).
- Barrow, G.W.S Ed. The Charters of David I The Written Acts of David I King of Scots, 1124-53 and of His Son Henry, Earl of Northumerland, 1139-52. Woodbridge: The Boydell Press, 1999. Print.
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Fairbairn,. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
The Spears Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Spears Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 31 March 2015 at 10:47.
on orders of $85 or more