100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The surname Slaughter was first found in Gloucestershire
where they held a family seat
from ancient times, some say before the Norman Conquest
Spelling variations of this family name include: Slaughter, Sloughter, Slighter, Sclater and others.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Slaughter research. Another 201 words (14 lines of text) covering the years 1755, 1691 and 1691 are included under the topic Early Slaughter History in all our PDF Extended History products
Another 37 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Slaughter Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Slaughter Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- John Slaughter who settled in Virginia in 1622
- Rebecca Slaughter settled in Virginia in 1635
- Rebecca Slaughter, who arrived in Virginia in 1635
- Bartholmew Slaughter, who landed in Maryland in 1648
- Bartholomew Slaughter, who arrived in Maryland in 1648
Slaughter Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Hance Slaughter, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1729
- Caterina Slaughter, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1729
- John Slaughter, who landed in America in 1764
- John Slaughter settled in West New Jersey in 1772
Slaughter Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- P Slaughter, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1850
- Pleasant J Slaughter, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1850
Slaughter Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Matthew Slaughter, aged 41, a cabinetmaker, arrived in South Australia in 1849 aboard the ship "Florentia"
- William Banks Slaughter (1797-1879), American politician
- John Horton Slaughter (1841-1922), nicknamed Texas John Slaughter, an American lawman, cowboy, poker player and rancher in the Southwest
- Dorothy Louise McIntosh Slaughter (b. 1929), American politician, U.S. House of Representatives from New York (2013-)
- Fred Slaughter (b. 1941), American former college basketball player for the UCLA Bruins
- George Webb Slaughter (1811-1895), American Baptist minister, cattle breeder and drover
- Gabriel Slaughter (1767-1830), American politician, 7th Governor of Kentucky (1816-1820)
- Christopher Columbus "C.C." and "Lum" Slaughter (1837-1919), American rancher, cattle drover and breeder, banker and philanthropist in the Old West; he owned 40,000 cattle and over one million acres of ranch land in West Texas, known as the "Cattle King of Texas"
- Anne-Marie Slaughter (b. 1958), American academic, current President and CEO of the New America Foundation
- Mark Slaughter (b. 1964), American singer and musician, lead singer of band Slaughter
- Fenton M. Slaughter (1826-1897), American businessman and politician, elected to the California State Assembly in 1870
- History of a Missouri Farm Family by Stephen S. Slaughter.
- Slaughter and Price Genealogy by Raymond D. Slaughter.
- The Slaughter Ranches & their Makers by Mary Whatley Clarke.
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin . Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry: Including American Families with British Ancestry. (2 Volumes). London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Shirley, Evelyn Philip. Noble and Gentle Men of England Or Notes Touching The Arms and Descendants of the Ancient Knightley and Gentle Houses of England Arranged in their Respective Counties 3rd Edition. Westminster: John Bowyer Nichols and Sons, 1866. Print.
- Dunkling, Leslie. Dictionary of Surnames. Toronto: Collins, 1998. Print. (ISBN 0004720598).
- Hitching, F.K and S. Hitching. References to English Surnames in 1601-1602. Walton On Thames: 1910. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0181-3).
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
- Lennard, Reginald. Rural England 1086-1135 A Study of Social and Agrarian Conditions. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1959. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
The Slaughter Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Slaughter Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 25 April 2016 at 17:31.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!