Sissons is one of the thousands of new names that the Norman Conquest
brought to England
in 1066. The Sissons family lived in Gloucestershire
, at the manor of Siston,
from whence their name was derived.
Early Origins of the Sissons family
The surname Sissons was first found in Gloucestershire
where they held a family seat
as Lords of the manor of Siston, held at the time of the taking of the Domesday Book
, a survey of England
taken by Duke William of Normandy
after his conquest of England
in Hastings in 1066 A.D. In this survey the village of Siston was held by Roger de Berkeley. Conjecturally they were descended from Roger, and as it was the tradition of Norman families, the second or third son usually adopted the name of his manor or lands.
Early History of the Sissons family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Sissons research.Another 70 words (5 lines of text) covering the years 1172, 1661, 1690, 1720, 1749, and 1783 are included under the topic Early Sissons History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Sissons Spelling Variations
It is only in the last few hundred
years that the English language has been standardized. For that reason, Anglo-Norman surnames like Sissons are characterized by many spelling variations
. Scribes and monks in the Middle Ages spelled names they sounded, so it is common to find several variations that refer to a single person. As the English language changed and incorporated elements of other European languages such as Norman French and Latin, even literate people regularly changed the spelling of their names. The variations of the name Sissons include Siston, Sistons, Syston, Sistun, Systun, Sisson, Sissons, Sysun, Sisun, Sissun, Sison, Sisons, Syson, Sysson, Session, Sesion and many more.
Early Notables of the Sissons family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Sissons Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Sissons family to Ireland
Some of the Sissons family moved to Ireland
, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. More information about their life in Ireland
is included in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Sissons family to the New World and Oceana
Faced with the chaos present in England
at that time, many English families looked towards the open frontiers of the New World with its opportunities to escape oppression and starvation. People migrated to North America, as well as Australia
in droves, paying exorbitant rates for passages in cramped, unsafe ships. Many of the settlers did not make the long passage alive, but those who did see the shores of North America were welcomed with great opportunity. Many of the families that came from England
went on to make essential contributions to the emerging nations of Canada and the United States. Some of the first immigrants to cross the Atlantic and come to North America carried the name Sissons, or a variant listed above: George Sisson, who immigrated to Rhode Island in 1635; William Sisson, who came to Maryland in 1774; R. Sisson, who arrived in New York State in 1823.
Contemporary Notables of the name Sissons (post 1700)
- Mychal Anthony Sissons (b. 1988), American football linebacker
- Sir John Gerald Patrick Sissons FRCP, FRCPath, FMedSci (1945-2016), English academic, Regius Professor of Physic at the University of Cambridge from 2005 to 2012
- John Graham Sissons (b. 1934), English former footballer
- Robert Sissons (b. 1988), former English footballer
- John Sissons (b. 1945), English former footballer
- Richard Sissons (1819-1893), notable New Zealand doctor and Anglican lay reader
- Colton Sissons (b. 1993), Canadian ice hockey player
- Alfred Thomas Stanley Sissons (1888-1975), Australian pharmaceutical scientist and academic
- John Sissons (1892-1969), barrister, author, judge and a Canadian federal politician
- Kate Sissons (b. 1980), British RADA-trained actress
- ... (Another 2 notables are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Sissons Family Crest Products