on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the Irish O'Malley family come from? What is the Irish O'Malley family crest and coat of arms? When did the O'Malley family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the O'Malley family history?The surname O'Malley originally appeared in Gaelic as "O Maille."
Names from the Middle Ages demonstrate many spelling variations. This is because the recording scribe or church official often decided as to how a person's name was spelt and in what language. Research into the name O'Malley revealed many variations, including Malley, Mallay, Mally, O'Mally, Mailley, O'Malley, O'Mailey, Mailey, Maley, Mealey, Mealley, Meally and many more.
First found in County Mayo (Irish: Maigh Eo) located on the West coast of the Republic of Ireland in the province of Connacht, where they held a family seat from ancient times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our O'Malley research. Another 361 words(26 lines of text) covering the years 1503, 1603, 1760, 1843, and 1854 are included under the topic Early O'Malley History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 44 words(3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early O'Malley Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Thousands of Irish families left for North American shores in the 19th century. These people were searching for a life unencumbered with poverty, hunger, and racial discrimination. Many arrived to eventually find such conditions, but many others simply did not arrive: victims of the diseased, overcrowded ships in which they traveled to the New World. Those who lived to see North American shores were instrumental in the development of the growing nations of Canada and the United States. A thorough examination of passenger and immigration lists has disclosed evidence of many early immigrants of the name O'Malley:
O'Malley Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Charles, Edward, Hugh, John, Luke, Michael, Miles, Peter, and Thomas O'Malley, who all arrived in Philadelphia between 1840 and 1860
- Ann O'Malley, aged 17, who landed in America, in 1897
O'Malley Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Annie O'Malley, aged 20, who settled in America from Carrane, Galway, in 1906
- Austin O'Malley, aged 30, who emigrated to the United States from Yoxford, Ireland, in 1909
- Anne O'Malley, aged 20, who emigrated to America from Castlebar, Ireland, in 1910
- Alice O'Malley, aged 21, who emigrated to the United States from Achill Island, Ireland, in 1911
- Austin O'Malley, aged 26, who emigrated to the United States from Castelbar, Ireland, in 1912
- Martin J O'Malley (b. 1963), American politician, Governor of Maryland
- Peter O'Malley (b. 1937), American Sports Administrator, former president and past owner of the Los Angeles Dodgers
- Austin O'Malley (1858-1932), American physician and humorist
- Seán Patrick O'Malley OFM Cap (b. 1944), American Cardinal of the Roman Catholic Church
- Desmond Joseph "Des" O'Malley (b. 1939), former Irish politician, born in Limerick
- Edwin O'Malley (1881-1955), Commissioner of Public Markets for New York City
- King O'Malley (1858-1953), Australian politician
- Robert E O'Malley (b. 1943), American soldier, Medal of Honor recipient
- Sean O'Malley (b. 1944), Roman Catholic Cardinal
- Walter O'Malley (1903-1979), American sports executive, owner of the Brooklyn Dodgers
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Leyburn, James Graham. The Scotch-Irish A Social History. Chapel Hill: UNC Press, 1962. Print. (ISBN 0807842591).
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Rasmussen, Louis J. . San Francisco Ship Passenger Lists 4 Volumes Colma, California 1965 Reprint. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1978. Print.
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1970. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Woodham-Smith, Cecil. The Great Hunger Ireland 1845-1849. New York: Old Town Books, 1962. Print. (ISBN 0-88029-385-3).
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
The O'Malley Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The O'Malley Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 16 February 2015 at 11:33.
on orders of $85 or more