Munnelly History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The surname Munnelly is an Anglicization of the Irish O Maonghaile. The English name Manley was often used as a further anglicized form.
Early Origins of the Munnelly family
The surname Munnelly was first found in County Mayo (Irish: Maigh Eo) located on the West coast of the Republic of Ireland in the province of Connacht, where it appear in 16th century Tudor Fiants.
Important Dates for the Munnelly family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Munnelly research. More information is included under the topic Early Munnelly History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Munnelly Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Monnelly, Monelly, Munnelly, Mannelly, Munelly, O Monnelly, Monley, Manley and many more.
Early Notables of the Munnelly family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Munnelly Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Munnelly migration to New Zealand
Emigration to New Zealand followed in the footsteps of the European explorers, such as Captain Cook (1769-70): first came sealers, whalers, missionaries, and traders. By 1838, the British New Zealand Company had begun buying land from the Maori tribes, and selling it to settlers, and, after the Treaty of Waitangi in 1840, many British families set out on the arduous six month journey from Britain to Aotearoa to start a new life. Early immigrants include:
Munnelly Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Mr. James Munnelly, (b. 1837), aged 26, British farm labourer travelling from London aboard the ship 'Mermaid' arriving in Lyttelton, Christchurch, South Island, New Zealand on 16th February 1864 
- Miss Sarah Munnelly, (b. 1838), aged 25, British settler travelling from London aboard the ship 'Mermaid' arriving in Lyttelton, Christchurch, South Island, New Zealand on 16th February 1864 
Contemporary Notables of the name Munnelly (post 1700)
- John P. Munnelly, American Democrat politician, Postmaster at Omaha, Nebraska, 1961-83 (acting, 1961-63) 
- James F. Munnelly (b. 1922), American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Nebraska, 1964; Member of Nebraska railway commission 2nd District, 1967- 
- Martin Munnelly (b. 1969), retired American soccer midfielder
- John Munnelly (d. 1941), Irish Fianna Fáil politician
- Ross Munnelly, Irish Gaelic footballer
- Tom Munnelly (1944-2007), Irish archivist and collector of the classic ballads and traditional stories of Irish folklore
- Michael Joseph Munnelly GC (1941-1964), posthumously awarded the George Cross for his gallantry
- William Munnelly, Canadian wine critics and self-publisher
You May Also Like
- ^ New Zealand Yesteryears Passenger Lists 1800 to 1900 (Retrieved 17th October 2018). Retrieved from http://www.yesteryears.co.nz/shipping/passlist.html
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 2) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html