on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: French
There are several distinct sources of the Morey surname in Ireland
. Most of the name find their roots with the Anglo-Norman "Strongbow" invasion of the 12th century. Many of these became de Mora. Others derived from the Old Irish "O Mordha," from the word "mordha," meaning "stately," or "noble." The English surname Morey is derived from the personal name
"More," which is itself derived from the Old French word "maur," meaning "Moor."
The surname Morey was first found in Leicestershire
, before the name had made its way to Ireland; their first records appeared on the early census rolls taken by the early kings of Britain to determine the rate of taxation of their subjects.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Moore, More, Moor, O'More, Moores, Mores, McMore, Moire, Moare, MacMoore, McMoir, Moir, Moors, O'Moore, O'Moire, McMoare, MacMoir, MacMoare, Mooer and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Morey research. Another 247 words (18 lines of text) covering the years 1627, 1621, 1730, 1822, 1791, 1729, 1799, 1795, 1557, 1600, 1655, 1641, 1620, 1655, 1641, 1767, 1799, 1798, 1706, 1700 and 1703 are included under the topic Early Morey History in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Notable amongst the family up to this time was Rory O'More (d. 1557) and his son Rory Og O'More, who were both Irish leaders in the wars against the English (Tudor) Kings; Rory O'Moore (Roger O'Moore, O'More, Sir Roger Moore) (c.1600-1655), an Irish landowner of ancient lineage, most notable for being...
Another 81 words (6 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Morey Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Morey Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Roger Morey, who landed in Boston, Massachusetts in 1630
- George Morey, who landed in Virginia in 1652
- Nicholas Morey, who arrived in Maryland in 1678
Morey Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- John Morey, who landed in New York in 1822
- Samuel Morey, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851
- Godfrey Morey, who arrived in Arkansas in 1889
- Anna Morey, aged 62, who settled in America from Ireland, in 1892
- Jose Morey, who landed in Puerto Rico in 1898
Morey Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Bartholomew Morey, aged 35, who landed in America from Cork, Ireland, in 1911
- Arthur Harry Morey, aged 28, who emigrated to the United States from London, England, in 1920
- Albert Morey, aged 33, who emigrated to the United States, in 1921
Morey Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Joseph Morey, who arrived in Canada in 1828
- Linsford Morey, who landed in Canada in 1829
Morey Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- John Morey arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "John" in 1840
- Charles Morey arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Midlothian" in 1850
- Josiah Morey arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Midlothian" in 1850
- Jane Morey, aged 19, a domestic servant, arrived in South Australia in 1852 aboard the ship "Omega"
- William Morey, aged 23, arrived in South Australia in 1855 aboard the ship "Telegraph"
Morey Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Henry Morey, aged 30, a farm labourer, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Rodney" in 1875
- Emily Morey, aged 23, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Rodney" in 1875
- William Morey, aged 3, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Rodney" in 1875
- Frank Morey (1840-1890), U.S. Representative from Louisiana
- Sean Joseph Morey (b. 1976), former American NFL football wide receiver
- Robert Willis Morey Jr. (b. 1936), American Olympic gold medalist rower at the 1956 Summer Olympics
- Walter "Walt" Morey (1907-1992), American author of children's fiction
- David Beale Morey (1889-1986), American football and baseball player
- Samuel Morey (1762-1843), American inventor
- Jaime García Morey (1942-2015), Spanish singer at the Spain in the Eurovision Song Contest 1972
- Eve Morey (b. 1983), Australian actress
The motto was originally a war cry or slogan. Mottoes first began to be shown with arms in the 14th and 15th centuries, but were not in general use until the 17th century. Thus the oldest coats of arms generally do not include a motto. Mottoes seldom form part of the grant of arms: Under most heraldic authorities, a motto is an optional component of the coat of arms, and can be added to or changed at will; many families have chosen not to display a motto. Motto:
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Woulfe, Rev. Patrick. Irish Names and Surnames Collected and Edited with Explanatory and Historical Notes. Kansas City: Genealogical Foundation, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-940134-403).
- Leyburn, James Graham. The Scotch-Irish A Social History. Chapel Hill: UNC Press, 1962. Print. (ISBN 0807842591).
- Grehan, Ida. Dictionary of Irish Family Names. Boulder: Roberts Rinehart, 1997. Print. (ISBN 1-57098-137-X).
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Harris, Ruth-Ann and B. Emer O'Keefe. The Search for Missing Friends Irish Immigrant Advertisements Placed in the Boston Pilot Volume II 1851-1853. Boston, MA: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 1991. Print.
- O'Hart, John. Irish Pedigress 5th Edition in 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0737-4).
- Hickey, D.J. and J.E. Doherty. A New Dictionary of Irish History form 1800 2nd Edition. Dublin: Gil & MacMillian, 2003. Print.
- Vicars, Sir Arthur. Index to the Prerogative Wills of Ireland 1536-1810. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
The Morey Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Morey Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 13 July 2015 at 16:18.
on orders of $85 or more