100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: French
The origins the old family name Merchant can be found within medieval France. While the patronymic
and metronymic surnames, which are derived from the name of the father and mother respectively, are the most common form of a hereditary surname in France, occupational
surnames also emerged during the late Middle Ages. Many people, such as the Merchant family, adopted the name of their occupation
as their surname. The surname Merchant was an occupational name for a merchant or trader.
The surname Merchant was first found in Dauphiny (French: Dauphiné or Dauphiné Viennois), a former province in southeastern France, where the family has held a family seat
since ancient times.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Marchand, Marchond, Marchonde, Marchont, Marchent, Marchamp, Marchant, Merchamp and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Merchant research. Another 347 words (25 lines of text) covering the years 1287, 1470, 1600, 1634, 1768, 1600 and 1722 are included under the topic Early Merchant History in all our PDF Extended History products
Another 103 words (7 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Merchant Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Merchant Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Jeffrey Merchant settled in Virginia in 1637
- Jeffry Merchant, who arrived in Virginia in 1637
- Jeffery Merchant, who landed in Virginia in 1637
- John Merchant, who arrived in Braintree, Massachusetts in 1638
- William Merchant, who arrived in Watertown, Massachusetts in 1641
Merchant Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Richard Merchant, who landed in Virginia in 1706
- Maria Katherina Merchant, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1731
Merchant Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Henry Merchant, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1840
- Francis Hyatt Merchant, who arrived in Texas in 1850-1906
Merchant Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Mr. Jesse Merchant U.E. who settled in New Brunswick c. 1784
Merchant Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- James Merchant arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Samuel Boddington" in 1851
Merchant Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Elijah Merchant, aged 25, a labourer, arrived in Nelson aboard the ship "Chile" in 1874
- Martha Merchant, aged 26, arrived in Nelson aboard the ship "Chile" in 1874
- Frederick Merchant, aged 1, arrived in Nelson aboard the ship "Chile" in 1874
- Ray Merchant, American Republican politician, Candidate for Oklahoma State House of Representatives 65th District, 2002
- Pamela K. Merchant, American Democrat politician, Candidate for South Dakota State Senate 7th District, 2010
- Monisha M. Merchant, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Colorado, 2008
- Mona H. Merchant, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Colorado, 2008
- Milton F. Merchant, American politician, Representative from New York 26th District, 1882
- Livingston Tallmadge Merchant (1903-1976), American politician, U.S. Ambassador to Canada, 1956-58, 1961-62
- Joseph W. Merchant, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from New York, 1868; Member of New York State Assembly from Madison County 1st District, 1870
- Harriet Merchant, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from New York, 1996
- Cortez Merchant, American politician, Member of Connecticut State Senate 11th District, 1854
- Raymond D. Merchant, American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from Ohio, 1948, 1952
- Preliminary Record of Gurdon Merchant and his Wife Hannah Van Duzer by Mary Gene McCall Middleton.
- Rasmussen, Louis J. . San Francisco Ship Passenger Lists 4 Volumes Colma, California 1965 Reprint. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1978. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Guérard, Albert Léon. France: a Modern History. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press, 1959. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Annuaire Général Héraldique Universel. Paris: Institut Héraldique, 1901. Print.
- D'Hozier Charles. Armorial Général de France. Paris: Dillon, 1875. Print.
- Rolland, and H.V. Rolland. Illustrations to the Armorial general by J. B. Rietstap 6 volumes in 3. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1976. Print.
The Merchant Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Merchant Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 2 March 2016 at 13:23.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!