on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: French, Scottish
Where did the French Merchant family come from? What is the French Merchant family crest and coat of arms? When did the Merchant family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Merchant family history?The origins the old family name Merchant can be found within medieval France. While the patronymic and metronymic surnames, which are derived from the name of the father and mother respectively, are the most common form of a hereditary surname in France, occupational surnames also emerged during the late Middle Ages. Many people, such as the Merchant family, adopted the name of their occupation as their surname. The surname Merchant was an occupational name for a merchant or trader.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Marchand, Marchond, Marchonde, Marchont, Marchent, Marchamp, Marchant, Merchamp and many more.
First found in Dauphiny (French: Dauphiné or Dauphiné Viennois), a former province in southeastern France, where the family has held a family seat since ancient times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Merchant research. Another 347 words(25 lines of text) covering the years 1287, 1470, 1600, 1634, 1768, 1600 and 1722 are included under the topic Early Merchant History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 103 words(7 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Merchant Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Merchant Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Jeffrey Merchant settled in Virginia in 1637
- Jeffry Merchant, who arrived in Virginia in 1637
- Jeffery Merchant, who landed in Virginia in 1637
- John Merchant, who arrived in Braintree, Massachusetts in 1638
- William Merchant, who arrived in Watertown, Massachusetts in 1641
Merchant Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Richard Merchant, who landed in Virginia in 1706
- Maria Katherina Merchant, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1731
Merchant Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Henry Merchant, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1840
- Francis Hyatt Merchant, who arrived in Texas in 1850-1906
Merchant Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- James Merchant arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Samuel Boddington" in 1851
Merchant Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Elijah Merchant, aged 25, a labourer, arrived in Nelson aboard the ship "Chile" in 1874
- Martha Merchant, aged 26, arrived in Nelson aboard the ship "Chile" in 1874
- Frederick Merchant, aged 1, arrived in Nelson aboard the ship "Chile" in 1874
- Natalie Merchant (b. 1963), American singer and songwriter
- Livingston Tallmadge Merchant (1903-1976), American diplomat, who twice served as United States Ambassador to Canada
- Vivian Merchant (1929-1982), English actress
- William Moelwyn Merchant (1913-1997), Welsh academic, novelist, sculptor, poet and Anglican priest
- Preliminary Record of Gurdon Merchant and his Wife Hannah Van Duzer by Mary Gene McCall Middleton.
- Rietstap, Johannes Baptist. Armorial Général. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- D'Hozier Charles. Armorial Général de France. Paris: Dillon, 1875. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Rolland, and H.V. Rolland. Illustrations to the Armorial general by J. B. Rietstap 6 volumes in 3. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1976. Print.
- De Ville, Winston. Gulf Coast Colonials, A Compendium of French Families in Early Eighteenth Century Louisiana. Baltimore, MD: Clearfield, 1999. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Rasmussen, Louis J. . San Francisco Ship Passenger Lists 4 Volumes Colma, California 1965 Reprint. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1978. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
The Merchant Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Merchant Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 27 November 2014 at 19:46.
on orders of $85 or more