on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: French, Scottish
Where did the Scottish Merchant family come from? What is the Scottish Merchant family crest and coat of arms? When did the Merchant family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Merchant family history?The surname Merchant was an occupational name for a merchant having derived from the Old French, Middle English word "marchant," which in turn came from the Late Latin "mercatans."
Spelling variations of this family name include: Merchant, Merchand, Marchand, Mercator and others.
First found in Buckinghamshire, where they held a family seat from early times and granted lands by King William for their assistance at the Battle of Hastings in 1066 A.D. They were originally from Normandy being tradesmen for Le Merchant. By 1180 they had been granted lands north of the border in Scotland when Rudolph Mercater held lands in Dunfermline.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Merchant research. Another 133 words (10 lines of text) covering the years 1298 and 1676 are included under the topic Early Merchant History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 39 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Merchant Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Merchant Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Jeffrey Merchant settled in Virginia in 1637
- Jeffry Merchant, who arrived in Virginia in 1637
- Jeffery Merchant, who landed in Virginia in 1637
- John Merchant, who arrived in Braintree, Massachusetts in 1638
- William Merchant, who arrived in Watertown, Massachusetts in 1641
Merchant Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Richard Merchant, who landed in Virginia in 1706
- Maria Katherina Merchant, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1731
Merchant Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Henry Merchant, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1840
- Francis Hyatt Merchant, who arrived in Texas in 1850-1906
Merchant Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- James Merchant arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Samuel Boddington" in 1851
Merchant Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Elijah Merchant, aged 25, a labourer, arrived in Nelson aboard the ship "Chile" in 1874
- Martha Merchant, aged 26, arrived in Nelson aboard the ship "Chile" in 1874
- Frederick Merchant, aged 1, arrived in Nelson aboard the ship "Chile" in 1874
- Ray Merchant, American Republican politician, Candidate for Oklahoma State House of Representatives 65th District, 2002
- Pamela K. Merchant, American Democrat politician, Candidate for South Dakota State Senate 7th District, 2010
- Monisha M. Merchant, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Colorado, 2008
- Mona H. Merchant, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Colorado, 2008
- Milton F. Merchant, American politician, Representative from New York 26th District, 1882
- Livingston Tallmadge Merchant (1903-1976), American politician, U.S. Ambassador to Canada, 1956-58, 1961-62
- Joseph W. Merchant, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from New York, 1868; Member of New York State Assembly from Madison County 1st District, 1870
- Harriet Merchant, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from New York, 1996
- Cortez Merchant, American politician, Member of Connecticut State Senate 11th District, 1854
- Raymond D. Merchant, American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from Ohio, 1948, 1952
- Preliminary Record of Gurdon Merchant and his Wife Hannah Van Duzer by Mary Gene McCall Middleton.
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. Socts Heraldry A Practical Handbook on the Historical Principles and Modern Application of the Art of Science. London: Oliver and Boyd, 1934. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- Fulton, Alexander. Scotland and Her Tartans: The Romantic Heritage of the Scottish Clans and Families. Godalming: Bramley, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-86283-880-0).
- Markale, J. Celtic Civilization. London: Gordon & Cremonesi, 1976. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
The Merchant Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Merchant Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 9 November 2015 at 09:54.
on orders of $85 or more