100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The surname Mcknight was first found in Kirkcudbright, where they held a family seat from early times and their first records appeared on the early census rolls taken by the early Kings of Britain to determine the rate of taxation of their subjects.
Spelling variations of this family name include: MacKnight, MacKnyght, MacNaught, MacNaight, MacKnaught, MacKnaight, MacNight and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Mcknight research. Another 140 words (10 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Mcknight History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Mcknight Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Mcknight family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 272 words (19 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Mcknight Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- John McKnight, who landed in Maryland in 1668
Mcknight Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Margaret McKnight, who arrived in South Carolina in 1772
- Jane McKnight, who arrived in South Carolina in 1772
- Thomas McKnight, who arrived in America in 1773
Mcknight Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- William McKnight, who landed in Somerset County, Pennsylvania in 1802
- Samuel McKnight, who landed in Charleston, South Carolina in 1825
- Mary McKnight, who landed in New York, NY in 1849
- Elizabeth McKnight, aged 21, landed in New York, NY in 1849
- James McKnight, who landed in Alabama in 1858
Mcknight Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- George McKnight arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Candahar" in 1851
Mcknight Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- John McKnight, aged 19, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Constance" in 1862
- John McKnight arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Excelsior" in 1870
- John McKnight, aged 24, a labourer, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Rodney" in 1875
- Johanna McKnight, aged 22, a housemaid, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Rodney" in 1875
- DeWayne "Blackbyrd" McKnight (b. 1954), American guitarist
- Harmar Denny McKnight (1848-1900), American founding owner of the Allegheny Baseball Club of Pittsburgh, later known as the Pittsburgh Pirates, son of Robert McKnight
- Robert McKnight (1820-1885), American Republican United States Representative from Pennsylvania (1859-1863), father of Denny McKnight
- Dennis Neal McKnight (b. 1959), former American NFL football guard who played from 1982 to 1992 and coached from 1981 to 2013
- Charles McKnight (1750-1791), American surgeon and physician in the Hospital Department of the Continental Army under General George Washington
- Joe McKnight (b. 1988), American NFL football tailback
- Chad McKnight (b. 1984), American professional basketball player
- James McKnight (b. 1972), former American NFL football player
- Linda McKnight, American double bassist
- Brian McKnight (b. 1969), Grammy-nominated American singer
- McKnight Genealogy by Imogene Linville Millican.
- The McKnight Family and their Descendants by Texarado McKnight Peak.
- Adam, Frank. Clans Septs and Regiments of the Scottish Highlands 8th Edition. London: Bacon (G.W.) & Co, 1970. Print. (ISBN 10-0717945006).
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Markale, J. Celtic Civilization. London: Gordon & Cremonesi, 1976. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Scarlett, James D. Tartan The Highland Textile. London: Shepheard-Walwyn, 1990. Print. (ISBN 0-85683-120-4).
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
This page was last modified on 19 December 2015 at 00:39.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!