100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The surname McHugh in Ireland
have evolved from the Gaelic Mac Aodha, which means son of Aodh or son of Hugh.
The surname McHugh was first found in Connacht
(Irish: Connachta, (land of the) descendants of Conn), where they held a family seat
from very ancient times.
People who were accounted for by scribes and church officials often had their name recorded many different ways because pronunciation was the only guide those scribes and church officials had to go by. This resulted in the problem of one person's name being recorded under several different variations, creating the illusion of more than one person. Among the many spelling variations of the surname McHugh that are preserved in archival documents are McHugh, MacHugh, McCue, MacCue, MacKew, McKew and others.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our McHugh research. Another 346 words (25 lines of text) covering the years 1313, 1348, and 1585 are included under the topic Early McHugh History in all our PDF Extended History products
More information is included under the topic Early McHugh Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
A great mass of Ireland's native population left the island in the 19th century, seeking relief from various forms of social, religious, and economic discrimination. This Irish exodus was primarily to North America. If the migrants survived the long ocean journey, many unfortunately would find more discrimination in the colonies of British North America and the fledgling United States of America. These newly arrived Irish were, however, wanted as a cheap source of labor for the many large agricultural and industrial projects that were essential to the development of what would become two of the wealthiest nations in the western world. Early immigration and passenger lists indicate many people bearing the McHugh name:
McHugh Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Thomas McHugh, who arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1773
McHugh Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Andrew McHugh, who landed in New York, NY in 1816
- Conrad McHugh, who arrived in Washington County, Pennsylvania in 1827
- Elisha McHugh, who landed in South Carolina in 1830
- Mary Z McHugh, who landed in Charleston, South Carolina in 1830
- Patrick McHugh, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1837
McHugh Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Charles McHugh was a fisherman in St. John's in 1794
McHugh Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Charles McHugh settled in Harbour Grace in 1810
- Mary McHugh, aged 19, arrived in Saint John, NB aboard the ship "Madawaska" in 1833
- John McHugh, aged 20, a tailor, arrived in Saint John, NB aboard the ship "Bartley" in 1833
- Margaret McHugh, aged 30, arrived in Saint John, NB aboard the ship "Salus" in 1833
- Francis McHugh, aged 31, a labourer, arrived in Saint John, NB aboard the ship "Salus" in 1833
McHugh Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Mary Ann McHugh, English convict from London, who was transported aboard the "Angelina" on April 25, 1844, settling in Van Diemen's Land, Australia
- Mary McHugh, aged 22, a domestic servant, arrived in South Australia in 1855 aboard the ship "Grand Trianon"
- Jane McHugh, aged 19, a servant, arrived in South Australia in 1855 aboard the ship "Velocity"
- Thomas McHugh, aged 24, arrived in South Australia in 1858 aboard the ship "Nugget"
McHugh Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Thomas McHugh landed in Nelson, New Zealand in 1842
- John McHugh, aged 21, a farm labourer, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Arawa" in 1884
- Hugh McHugh, aged 22, a farm labourer, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Arawa" in 1884
- Teresa McHugh, aged 18, a servant, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Rangitikei" in 1884
- Maureen F. McHugh (b. 1959), American science fiction and fantasy writer
- Eugene J. McHugh, American politician, Candidate for New York State Assembly 12th District, 1965
- Dorothy B. McHugh, American Republican politician, Member of Republican National Committee from New York, 1963; Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from New York, 1964
- Dennis H. McHugh (b. 1862), American Republican politician, Bookkeeper; Farmer; Member of Vermont State House of Representatives from Weybridge, 1910
- Charles H. McHugh, American Democrat politician, Member of New York State Assembly from Bronx County 10th District, 1951-52; Defeated, 1952
- Bryan McHugh, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Minnesota, 1960
- Ann McHugh, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Massachusetts, 1980
- F. M. McHugh, American politician, Candidate for Governor of Utah, 1916
- Francis L. McHugh, American politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from New York 10th District, 1974
- Frank J. McHugh, American politician, Member of South Dakota State House of Representatives 36th District, 1935-36; Member of South Dakota State Senate, 1937-40
- Some Goodmans and McHughs by Matthew Lee McHugh.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- MacLysaght, Edward. Mores Irish Familes. Dublin: Irish Academic, 1982. Print. (ISBN 0-7165-0126-0).
- Woulfe, Rev. Patrick. Irish Names and Surnames Collected and Edited with Explanatory and Historical Notes. Kansas City: Genealogical Foundation, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-940134-403).
- MacLysaght, Edward. The Surnames of Ireland 3rd Edition. Dublin: Irish Academic, 1978. Print. (ISBN 0-7165-2278-0).
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Rasmussen, Louis J. . San Francisco Ship Passenger Lists 4 Volumes Colma, California 1965 Reprint. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1978. Print.
The McHugh Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The McHugh Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 27 February 2016 at 12:50.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!