on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: Irish-Alt, Irish, Scottish
Where did the Irish McCoy family come from? What is the Irish McCoy family crest and coat of arms? When did the McCoy family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the McCoy family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: MacCoy, MacCooey and others.
First found in County Cork (Irish: Corcaigh) the ancient Kingdom of Deis Muin (Desmond), located on the southwest coast of Ireland in the province of Munster, where they trace their origins through Amhailgadh, brother of Flaitheartach on the Maguire pedigree. He was in turn ancestor of MacAodh.  This line was native Irish, not to be confused with the group who descend from Mary MacCoy, wife of Duncan Campbell, of Inverary, Scotland who settled in Ulster, part of the Plantation of Ireland. They held lands in Londonderry.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our McCoy research. Another 137 words (10 lines of text) covering the years 1839, 1872, 1832, 1899, 1715 and 1774 are included under the topic Early McCoy History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 59 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early McCoy Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
McCoy Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Donald McCoy, who arrived in South Carolina in 1716
- John McCoy, who landed in South Carolina in 1716
- Paul McCoy, who arrived in Virginia in 1716
- Denis McCoy and his wife Catharine, who were colonists in Amelia county, Virginia in 1719
- Cormack McCoy, who arrived in New York in 1738
McCoy Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Daniel McCoy, who landed in Ohio in 1803
- Bryan McCoy, aged 32, landed in New York in 1812
- Dennis McCoy, aged 34, landed in New York in 1812
- Neil McCoy, aged 32, arrived in New York in 1812
- Patrick McCoy, aged 16, landed in Buffalo, NY in 1827
McCoy Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Thomas McCoy, who arrived in Quebec in 1838
- Samuel McCoy, who arrived in Canada in 1839
McCoy Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Mary A. McCoy, aged 20, a servant, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Jessie Osborne" in 1867
- Thomas McCoy, aged 33, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Bebington" in 1872
- Ann McCoy, aged 29, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Bebington" in 1872
- George McCoy, aged 1, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Bebington" in 1872
- Anne McCoy, aged 26, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Dilharree" in 1875
- Matt McCoy (b. 1958), American actor
- Horace McCoy (1897-1955), American writer, best known for his They Shoot Horses, Don't They? (1935) which was later made into a movie 14 years after his death
- Kansas Joe McCoy (1905-1950), American Delta blues musician and songwriter
- Major-General Frank Ross McCoy (1874-1954), American Commanding General 2nd Army (1935-1936)
- Timothy John Fitzgerald "Tim" McCoy (1891-1978), American actor so popular with youngsters as a cowboy star that he appeared on the cover of Wheaties cereal boxes
- Al McCoy (1894-1966), American middleweight champion boxer
- Colt McCoy (b. 1986), American football quarterback
- Charlie McCoy (b. 1941), American musician
- Major General Robert Bruce McCoy (1867-1926), American officer in the National Guard in the early 20th century awarded the Distinguished Service Medal, and Croix de guerre during World War I
- William Frederick McCoy (d. 1948), American sea captain and smuggler during the U.S. Prohibition Era, famous for never watering his booze
- Squirrel Huntin' Sam McCoy by Hobert McCoy.
- The McCoys by Truda Williams McCoy.
- ^ O'Hart, John, Irish Pedigress 5th Edition in 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Company, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0737-4)
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1992. Print.
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Sullivan, Sir Edward. The Book of Kells 3rd Edition. New York: Crescent Books, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-517-61987-3).
- McDonnell, Frances. Emigrants from Ireland to America 1735-1743 A Transcription of the report of the Irish House of Commons into Enforced emigration to America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1331-5).
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- MacLysaght, Edward. Mores Irish Familes. Dublin: Irish Academic, 1982. Print. (ISBN 0-7165-0126-0).
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
The McCoy Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The McCoy Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 8 November 2015 at 22:36.
on orders of $85 or more