100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: Irish-Alt
The surname McCoy was first found in County Cork
(Irish: Corcaigh) the ancient Kingdom of Deis Muin (Desmond), located on the southwest coast of Ireland
in the province of Munster
, where they trace their origins through Amhailgadh, brother of Flaitheartach on the Maguire pedigree. He was in turn ancestor of MacAodh. 
This line was native Irish, not to be confused with the group who descend from Mary MacCoy, wife of Duncan Campbell, of Inverary, Scotland
who settled in Ulster
, part of the Plantation of Ireland
. They held lands in Londonderry.
Spelling variations of this family name include: MacCoy, MacCooey and others.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our McCoy research. Another 137 words (10 lines of text) covering the years 1839, 1872, 1832, 1899, 1715 and 1774 are included under the topic Early McCoy History in all our PDF Extended History products
Another 59 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early McCoy Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
McCoy Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Donald McCoy, who arrived in South Carolina in 1716
- John McCoy, who landed in South Carolina in 1716
- Paul McCoy, who arrived in Virginia in 1716
- Denis McCoy and his wife Catharine, who were colonists in Amelia county, Virginia in 1719
- Cormack McCoy, who arrived in New York in 1738
McCoy Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Daniel McCoy, who landed in Ohio in 1803
- Bryan McCoy, aged 32, landed in New York in 1812
- Dennis McCoy, aged 34, landed in New York in 1812
- Neil McCoy, aged 32, arrived in New York in 1812
- Patrick McCoy, aged 16, landed in Buffalo, NY in 1827
McCoy Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Thomas McCoy, who arrived in Quebec in 1838
- Samuel McCoy, who arrived in Canada in 1839
McCoy Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Mary A. McCoy, aged 20, a servant, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Jessie Osborne" in 1867
- Thomas McCoy, aged 33, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Bebington" in 1872
- Ann McCoy, aged 29, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Bebington" in 1872
- George McCoy, aged 1, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Bebington" in 1872
- Anne McCoy, aged 26, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Dilharree" in 1875
- Michael Charles "Mike" McCoy (1953-2016), American football cornerback for the Green Bay Packers (1976-1983)
- Matt McCoy (b. 1958), American actor
- Horace McCoy (1897-1955), American writer, best known for his They Shoot Horses, Don't They? (1935) which was later made into a movie 14 years after his death
- Kansas Joe McCoy (1905-1950), American Delta blues musician and songwriter
- Major-General Frank Ross McCoy (1874-1954), American Commanding General 2nd Army (1935-1936)
- Timothy John Fitzgerald "Tim" McCoy (1891-1978), American actor so popular with youngsters as a cowboy star that he appeared on the cover of Wheaties cereal boxes
- Al McCoy (1894-1966), American middleweight champion boxer
- Colt McCoy (b. 1986), American football quarterback
- Charlie McCoy (b. 1941), American musician
- Major General Robert Bruce McCoy (1867-1926), American officer in the National Guard in the early 20th century awarded the Distinguished Service Medal, and Croix de guerre during World War I
- Squirrel Huntin' Sam McCoy by Hobert McCoy.
- The McCoys by Truda Williams McCoy.
- ^ O'Hart, John, Irish Pedigress 5th Edition in 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Company, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0737-4)
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Fitzgerald, Thomas W. Ireland and Her People A Library of Irish Biography 5 Volumes. Chicago: Fitzgerald. Print.
- Donovan, George Francis. The Pre-Revolutionary Irish in Massachusetts 1620-1775. Menasha, WI: Geroge Banta Publsihing Co., 1932. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1992. Print.
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Read, Charles Anderson. The Cabinet of Irish Literature Selections from the Works of the Chief Poets, Orators and Prose Writers of Ireland 4 Volumes. London: Blackie and Son, 1884. Print.
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1970. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
The McCoy Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The McCoy Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 31 March 2016 at 16:23.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!