100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the Scottish McCall family come from? What is the Scottish McCall family crest and coat of arms? When did the McCall family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the McCall family history?On the Scottish west coast, the McCall family was born among the ancient Dalriadan clans. Their name comes from the Gaelic surname of Scottish origin, which means son of the battle chief.
In various documents McCall has been spelled Since medieval scribes still spelled according to sound, records from that era contain an enormous number of spelling variations. MacAll, MacColl, MacCole, MacCall, MacAul, Mccall and others.
First found in Argyllshire (Gaelic erra Ghaidheal), the region of western Scotland corresponding roughly with the ancient Kingdom of Dál Riata, in the Strathclyde region of Scotland, now part of the Council Area of Argyll and Bute, where they held a family seat from early times and their first records appeared on the census rolls taken by the early Kings of Britain to determine the rate of taxation of their subjects.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our McCall research. Another 273 words(20 lines of text) covering the year 1602 is included under the topic Early McCall History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early McCall Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the McCall family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 158 words(11 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Significant portions of the populations of both the United States and Canada are still made up of the ancestors of Dalriadan families. Some of those in Canada originally settled the United States, but went north as United Empire Loyalists in the American War of Independence. The late 19th and early 20th centuries saw the ancestors of many Scots on both sides of the border begin to recover their collective national heritage through Clan societies and highland games. Some of the first North American settlers carried this name or one of its variants:
McCall Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- James McCall, who arrived in New Jersey in 1685
- Martin McCall, who arrived in New Jersey in 1685
- William McCall, who landed in New Jersey in 1685
McCall Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Donald McCall, who arrived in America in 1760
- John McCall, who landed in Savanna(h), Georgia in 1794
McCall Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Dougal McCall, who landed in New York in 1800
- Dugall McCall, aged 46, arrived in New York in 1812
- Daniel McCall, aged 27, landed in North Carolina in 1812
- Terence McCall, who landed in New York in 1829
- Andrew McCall, who arrived in New York, NY in 1840
McCall Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Duncan McCall, who landed in Canada in 1832
- Isabella McCall, aged 26, a widow, arrived in Saint John, NB in 1833 aboard the brig "Silestria" from Belfast
- H. McCall, aged 20, a farmer, arrived in Saint John, NB aboard the ship "Leslie Gault" in 1833
- Sarah McCall, aged 20, arrived in Saint John, NB aboard the ship "Leslie Gault" in 1833
- William McCall, aged 24, a labourer, arrived in Saint John, NB in 1837 aboard the barque "Robert Watt" from Cork
McCall Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- James McCall, aged 34, a labourer, arrived in South Australia in 1860 aboard the ship "Schah Jehan"
McCall Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- W. McCall arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Eastfield" in 1857
- James McCall, aged 21, a plumber, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Cartvale" in 1874
- Margaret McCall, aged 18, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Cartvale" in 1874
- Robert McCall, aged 34, a farm labourer, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Queen of Nations" in 1874
- Elizabeth McCall, aged 36, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Queen of Nations" in 1874
- Staff Sergeant Thomas Edward McCall (1916-1965), American officer awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor in 1944
- Captain Edward R. McCall (1790-1853), American Naval officer in the U.S. Navy during the War of 1812
- Jack McCall (1850-1877), American outlaw who killed James "Wild Bill" Hickok
- Samuel Walker McCall (1851-1923), American politician, member of the United States House of Representatives, and Governor of Massachusetts
- Thomas Lawson McCall (1913-1983), American politician and journalist, Governor of the Oregon (1967-1975)
- Herman Carl McCall (1935-1993), American politician, 52nd Comptroller of New York (1993-2002)
- Robert McCall (1919-2010), American conceptual artist, known for his work on 2001: A Space Odyssey, and with NASA
- Andy McCall (b. 1911), Scottish footballer and manager
- Ian McCall (b. 1965), Scottish footballer
- Andrew Stuart Murray McCall (b. 1964), Scottish former footballer
- Campbell and McCall Family History by Rachel M. Campbell.
- Captain John McCall by Clare M. McCall.
- Catholic Directory For Scotland. Glasgow: Burns Publications. Print.
- Scots Kith and Kin And Illustrated Map Revised 2nd Edition. Edinburgh: Clan House/Albyn. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Dorward, David. Scottish Surnames. Glasgow: Harper Collins, 1995. Print.
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. Socts Heraldry A Practical Handbook on the Historical Principles and Modern Application of the Art of Science. London: Oliver and Boyd, 1934. Print.
- Bain, Robert. The Clans and Tartans of Scotland. Glasgow & London: Collins, 1968. Print. (ISBN 000411117-6).
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Scotch Irish Pioneers In Ulster and America. Montana: Kessinger Publishing. Print.
- Prebble, John. The Highland Clearances. London: Secker & Warburg, 1963. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
The McCall Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The McCall Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 14 April 2015 at 03:49.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!