100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: English, Scottish
In ancient Scotland, the ancestors of the first people to use the name McAdams were part of a tribe known as the Strathclyde Britons. The name is derived from the given name Adam, which is itself derived from the Latin name Adamus which means earth.
Spelling variations of this family name include: MacAdam, MacAdams, McAdam, McAdams, MacCaw and others.
First found in Annandale, where they held a family seat at Kynemund and at Waterhead in the Stewartry of Kirkudbright.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our McAdams research. Another 326 words (23 lines of text) covering the years 1189, 1329, 1460, 1728, 1792, and 1891 are included under the topic Early McAdams History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 36 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early McAdams Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the McAdams family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 248 words (18 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
McAdams Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- George McAdams, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1803-1827
- Robert McAdams, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1838
- William McAdams, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1841
- Samuel McAdams, who landed in Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania in 1843
- John McAdams, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1853
McAdams Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Alex McAdams, aged 14, who emigrated to the United States from Glasgow, in 1901
- George McAdams, aged 39, who landed in America from Aberdeen, in 1906
- George McAdams, aged 26, who settled in America from Sligo, in 1906
- Bridget McAdams, aged 40, who settled in America from Leitrim, Ireland, in 1907
- Edward McAdams, aged 33, who landed in America, in 1908
McAdams Settlers in Canada in the 20th Century
- Catherine McAdams, aged 77, who emigrated to Sarnia, Canada, in 1921
- James McAdams, aged 21, who settled in Halifax, Canada, in 1921
- Scott McAdams (b. 1970), American politician, Mayor of Sitka, Alaska and Democratic nominee for United States Senator from Alaska in 2010
- Carl McAdams (b. 1944), American professional football player who played for the New York Jets (1967-1969)
- Janet McAdams, American author of partial Native American descent, recipient of the American Book Award in 2001
- Francis H. McAdams (1915-1985), American member of the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB)
- Dona Ann McAdams (b. 1954), American photographer
- James McAdams, American politician, U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of Florida, 1992
- James McAdams, American politician, Candidate for New York State Assembly from Albany County 3rd District, 1915
- J. L. C. McAdams, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Indiana, 1904
- Harry Mayhew McAdams (1916-2008), American Democrat politician
- Frank J. McAdams, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Illinois, 1948, 1952
- Bell, Robert. The Book of Ulster Surnames. Belfast: Blackstaff, 1988. Print. (ISBN 10-0856404160).
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Holt, J.C. Ed. Domesday Studies. Woodbridge: Boydell, 1987. Print. (ISBN 0-85115-477-8).
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Le Patourel, John. The Norman Empire. New York: Oxford University Press, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-19-822525-3).
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry Including American Families with British Ancestry 2 Volumes. London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
The McAdams Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The McAdams Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 29 November 2015 at 09:14.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!