Lindsley History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The Lindsley family originally lived in the parish of Lindsay in the northern English county of Northumberland. Ealdric de Lindsay held estates in both Normandy and in Lincolnshire, England. He was a tenant of English estates for the Earl of Chester.
Early Origins of the Lindsley family
The surname Lindsley was first found in Lanarkshire (Gaelic: Siorrachd Lannraig) a former county in the central Strathclyde region of Scotland, now divided into the Council Areas of North Lanarkshire, South Lanarkshire, and the City of Glasgow where they were descended from Randolph Lord of Toeni who was banished by Duke William from Normandy in 1058 along with many other knights. He settled on the borders of Lincolnshire and Leicestershire and erected a barony known as Linesi including Belvoir Castle. When the Duke of Normandy invaded England he was again forced to move and settled on the lands of Crawford in Lanarkshire Scotland.
"The first of the name in Scotland is Sir Walter de Lindeseya, who appears as one of the witnesses in the Inquisitio of Earl David concerning the possessions and rights of the see of Glasgow in 1124. His great-grandson, Sir William de Lindeseia, was one of the hostages for King William the Lion, 1174," 
Important Dates for the Lindsley family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Lindsley research. Another 275 words (20 lines of text) covering the years 1120, 1340, 1513, 1483, 1513, 1618, 1659, 1652, 1722, 1552, 1598, 1597, 1598, 1679, 1737, 1788, 1713, 1652, 1722, 1700, 1760, 1608, 1664, 1677, 1714, 1724, 1714 and 1292 are included under the topic Early Lindsley History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Lindsley Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Lindsay, Lyndsay, Lyndsey, Lindesey, Lindsey and many more.
Early Notables of the Lindsley family (pre 1700)
Notable among the family at this time was John Lindsay, 6th Earl of Crawford (before 1483-1513), an Earl of Crawford; Alexander Lindsay, 2nd Lord Balcarres and 1st Earl of Balcarres (1618-1659), a Scottish nobleman; Colin Lindsay, 3rd Earl of Balcarres (1652-1722), a Scottish aristocrat and politician; John Lindsay of Balcarres (1552-1598), Lord Menmuir, Chancellor of the University of St Andrews, 1597-1598; William Lindsay of Dovehill (died 1679), a Scottish Presbyterian minister serving in Perth, Scotland; Sir John Lindsay (1737-1788), a British naval officer; John Lindsay, 19th Earl of Crawford and...
Another 89 words (6 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Lindsley Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Lindsley family to Ireland
Some of the Lindsley family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 278 words (20 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Lindsley migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Typical Lindsley Emigration from the United Kingdom to North America
Lindsley Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Francis Lindsley, who settled in Connecticut in 1644
Lindsley Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Wm. Lindsley, who arrived in New York, NY in 1822
- Andrew Lindsley, who arrived in Boston in 1848
- S. A. Lindsley, who settled in San Francisco in 1852
Lindsley migration to Canada
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Lindsley Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- James Lindsley, who settled in Ontario in 1871
- Harmon Lindsley, who settled in Ontario in 1871
Contemporary Notables of the name Lindsley (post 1700)
- James Girard Lindsley (1819-1898), American Republican politician, Mayor of Kingston, New York, 1872; U.S. Representative from New York 17th District, 1885-87 
- Herbert P. Lindsley, American politician, Mayor of Wichita, Kansas, 1961-62 
- Henry S. Lindsley (b. 1956), American politician, Justice of Colorado State Supreme Court, 1955-56 
- Henry Dickinson Lindsley (1872-1938), American politician, Mayor of Dallas, Texas, 1915-17 
- Harvey Lindsley, American politician, Prohibition Candidate for Connecticut State House of Representatives from South Windsor, 1894 
- George H. Lindsley, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from New York, 1904 
- Frank Lindsley, American Democrat politician, Member of Michigan Democratic State Central Committee, 1973 
- Floyd E. Lindsley, American politician, Member of Minnesota State Senate 12th District, 1919-22 
- Eleazer Lindsley, American politician, Member of New York State Assembly from Ontario County, 1791-92 
- Charles H. Lindsley, American politician, Member of Minnesota State Senate 8th District, 1857-58 
- ... (Another 8 notables are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
You May Also Like
- ^ Black, George F., The Surnames of Scotland Their Origin, Meaning and History. New York: New York Public Library, 1946. Print. (ISBN 0-87104-172-3)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, October 28) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html